Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Two methods that can be used to safely thaw pork are the refrigerator method and the cold water method. Never thaw pork on the kitchen counter. The outside of the meat will reach a temperature above 40˚F while the inside is still frozen. The area that reaches a temperature above 40˚F would be susceptible to bacterial growth. Use one of the thawing methods described below.

Refrigerator Method - Thawing pork in the refrigerator is the slowest but safest method and will result in the least amount of moisture loss in comparison to the other methods. The temperature of the refrigerator should be maintained at 35˚F to 40˚F to discourage growth of harmful organisms as the meat thaws. Leave the meat wrapped and placed on a platter or a tray to catch the drippings as it thaws or unwrap and loosely cover with plastic or foil.

Approximate Refrigerator Thawing Time

Small Ham

4 to 5 hours per pound

Large Roast

5 to 7 hours per pound

After thawing in the refrigerator the pork can be refrigerated safely for 3 to 5 days. If you decide not to cook the meat within this time, the meat can be refrozen. Remember however, that each time the meat is frozen it loses some of its flavor quality. Do not refreeze meat that has been thawed using the cold water or microwave methods.

Cold Water Method - Thawing pork in cold water is a faster method than thawing in the refrigerator and it is safe as long as the proper precautions are taken. Fill the sink with enough cold tap water to cover the cut of meat, place the pork in a leak proof bag and put it into the cold water. Be sure that the meat is sealed tightly so that it is not exposed to the water. Meat exposed to the water will result in flavor and color loss, and will have a greater chance of bacterial growth. The water must be replaced with fresh cold water every 30 minutes. Do not use warm or hot water because it will encourage the growth of bacteria.

Approximate Cold Water Thawing Time

Small Ham

2 to 3 hours

Large Roast

30 minutes per pound

Do not use the sink for other purposes during the thawing period and be sure the water does not splash onto other preparation surfaces or food. Once the meat is thawed, remove it from the sink and sanitize all utensils and surfaces affected during the thawing period. The pork should be cooked immediately after thawing and should not be stored for any period of time. Do not refreeze the meat that has been thawed using this method, unless it has been cooked first.
A frozen butt takes at least 3 days to fully thaw in the fridge (depends on the temp of the fridge) but mine I keep cold, around 36.

Now there ARE some in the forum who've tried the "frozen butt" method of just putting a frozen butt in the smoker and cook it normal (although you will have to wait to insert a temp probe). They say it takes about the same amount of time.
Actually it is for my Nieces highschool volley ball team.

They have sold 400 tickets, plus a few people wanting a whole butt.

I'll have the 500 doing the work and the 100's to keep things warm. Should have alot of help.

Hey You need to come over the second weekend of May to Kingsport. They are having a thing called Racks by the Tracks. A little comp, just ribs. And they are having a peoples choice, the public will get tickets to try your ribs. You get .50 per bone, and they vote on the best. Only problem no one knows how many people. They are going to cut it off at 1500.

Should be different. I'm thinking about doing it. The best your local town is a very tempting idea. And I've tried everyone else.

The am comp only have to turn in 6 ribs, but only $100 to win.

RandyE

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.