Skip to main content

i'VE had a cs-025 for several years, works well and I love it. Picked up a Lang stick burner to get more temperature range and love that too. I have to give the edge to the LANG for taste and temperature range BUT .... it's a lot of work and there are times when the CS kicks butt. Last weekend I had promissed to smoke a turkey for an office party. The day I was to cook we had 24" of snow (white out at times) , 20-30 mph winds with 8-12f temps. Needless to say the stick burner was out of the question. I fired up the lang and smoked a perfect 12 lb turkey without freezing my butt off. So while I slightly prefer the Lang for some products, it will only be on days where I won't freeze my ass off. They both have their place. The CS is great for low and slow, smoking sausage, cold smoking and bad weather smoking. The Lang is great for hot and fast, pizza and I think slightly better product if you have the time to feed it. It's just another tool ..... but the CS saved my ass this time ...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You can't go wrong with a FEC100 or even one of the smaller PG 500 or 1000 units.

Sounds like you would be a perfect candidate for the FEC 1000. Its the best buy for the dollar and I have cooked with it outside in 12 inches of snow.

You have the convenience of electronically controlled temps and the advantage of wood fuel and temperatures. I have cooked on my FEC's at 300 degrees and at 140.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!
quote:
FEC 100

That was way out of my price range as its' over 3 times the cost of the Lang 36 Patio and I wanted something that could go up to 450 (ie pizza). I don't mind snow, the Lang can handle it but the CS was great because we had white out conditions for a few hours. If not for that I would have used the Lang. The weekend before it was 16f and I cooked a pizza at 425. Both smokers produce great product ... the stick I prefer however when I can see the smoker.
The one advantage of the Lang at cook-offs,compared to the superinsulated CS products is the Lang works as your heater all night.First you are out there cutting wood to get warm and then you can stand right next to the Lang, like a wood stove,and keep rotating to warm your hands and body.

At coldweather cook-offs with a pair of FECs,you have nothing to warm you.

Of course,we either just stay in the trailer all night ,or go to the motel until breakfast.
We all must shoulder some burdens. Smiler
The Lang, and my SM025 are not at the same price point as the FEC series. I also do not do competition smoking and have no interest in it. If I did I probably would look seriously at the FEC series. Comparing the SM025 to the LANG 36" (same price point) I give the edge to the Lang ... but it is more work I will grant you that but not that bad. Overnight smokes are not for me but with this I can smoke at 350 (ala Myron Mixon hot and fast) and produce excellent results. I know there is a lot of debate about that method vs low and slow but it does work. I really like them both for different reasons.
I guess I have missed your question. Looks like you have made up your mind on the equipment you like.

I don't know of any electric smoker which will go up to the temp you are looking for. And no stick burner will give you the long cook you are looking for.

Tom hit it on the head with the FEC100. Maybe this price is out of the range, but it is the answer to the cooking question.

Unless you are really looking for a pizza oven.

RandyE

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.