Skip to main content

Hi,
I am in the UK so our BBQ is not even close to the same level that you have across the pond and BBQ restaurants here are virtually unheard of. I have loved BBQ for about the last 12 years(29 now) and I have been exclusively using charcoal.

Recently I have been getting very into the low and slow cooking. Pulled pork etc and I am finding it so hard to cook on a normal charcoal lid BBQ and have been forced to try and DIY something in my convection oven in the house.

This is obviously not a good way to continue so initially I started looking at getting a gas BBQ (something like a Weber Summit 660) as they can give consistent temperatures for a long time. Then some of them have smoke boxes or put foil smoke pouches on.

Then by pure accident I came across this idea of using pellets so that you get a great smoke flavour. The only concern I had was with searing as I do like a good steak.

Cookshack seem to make some top quality kit and I am a bit torn between 2 options and would love your opinion.

Most of my cooking is for 4-6 people but there are occasions when I step it up to 20.

Option 1:
FEPG1000 and hope the grill space is enough to handle a decent volume.

Option 2:
FEC100 and purchase a small gas/charcoal grill just for searing.

Option 3:
A nice forums member suggests an even better solution that I have not considered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

John, first of all WELCOME! Both MaxQ and I both have the Amerique electric and the FEC100 pellet smoker. Both smokers are great, but there are pro and cons on both. The electrics use very little wood to produce smoke flavor and can go at a very low temp, but can't go to higher temps. The pellet smokers are great for temps 180* and up to 424* but need high quality food grade pellets as Max said. They don't use a lot of pellets and are very efficient. The FEC does have a greater capacity and personally I like the flavor profile and the way it cooks over the electric. That said, you really can't go wrong with either one.
I do not think the electrics are suitable for me, at least not yet, because they do not get as hot.

The real question is on PG1000 or FEC100 with sear station.

At the moment I think I am edging towards the PG1000 because the FEC is overkill. Having said that if the grill works well then I might have to start throwing a few more get togethers to justify a FEC100. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by John:
The real question is on PG1000 or FEC100 with sear station.

You will need the PG1000 or the PG500 to be able to sear steaks, the FEC100 is more of "just" a smoker.

On the pellet grills you will be able to smoke on the indirect side for a party of 20 with no problem, you might want a set of rib racks thou.

Keep asking any questions that you may have!
It varies.

We love some good ribs and brisket. Pulled pork sometimes too.

We also like chicken breast, thighs, steak, burgers and sausage.

I really like the idea of focusing on one slow cook item, e.g. ribs and then also have a fast grill item such as a burger.

Get the ribs going early in the morning or night before depending on when we want to eat then just as that is finishing put the steaks on and cook to order.
Remember that Fast Eddy goes regularly to the UK to work with distributors there.He also cooked with the Brits[team Mad Cow] 2005 and loaned them his gear to win the Jack Daniels World Invitational.Eddy helps them spread cooking,contests,etc in the European market.

Try emailing Eddy at CS sales and get his thoughts after our forum is able to narrow down your needs.
Last edited by tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.