Skip to main content

Hi,
I find myself in the happy position of being able to get something a little bigger than my Amerique. I occasionally find the Amerique not big enough for me. I was sort of assuming that I'd go with the FEC100, but after talking to some of the good folks at cookshack, they think the sm160 would be better for me. I don't plan on competing at all; I think the sm160 would be "easier" in so much as the wood usage is minimal, and I'm familiar with the amerique. I don't know how much more "work" the FEC would be : getting pellets, watching for flame-outs, etc. On the other hand, the FEC would give me temps over 300. And there really seem to be alot of happy users of the FEC.
So I'm on the fence, and I'd love to get some more input!
thanks,
Tim
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love the FEC for poultry and ribs, haven't had a flame out or fire. It will cost you a little more to operate, might be harder to find affordable pellets without bulk buying in your area.

Personally, I'd try to find someone in your area that has a FEC and check out the kind of product it produces. I sorta like to see what I'm buying or getting into.
For me, it's almost a chicken and egg question. They are different.

The FE is a drier (more traditional BBQ) and the
160 is a more moist environment.

I can't sell you on one or the other, as the obstacles can be overcome (pellets) after all you have to buy wood or buy pellets.

Key questions are:

1) What specifically are you wanting to cook (what amounts, at the same time, staggered, etc)
2) Quantity
3) Home use only?
Thanks for the input. I'd love to see an FEC, I'm going to look into that. My next purchase, I'd love to be able to do an occasional larger cook, e.g. 15-20 racks of ribs or more at the same time I'm planning on just home use for now. My amerique is great, but I can't larger loads in it that I need. I thought the FEC would be a good next purchase (since it cooks differently), but a couple of folks at cookshack are steering me towards the 160.
if you're willing to use rib racks in the amerique, 15 to 20 racks is doable.

my biggest cook last summer was 6 racks in a rib rack on the top, and two racks on each of the middle racks and two butts on the bottom.

substituting another rib rack or two gets you into the 15 to 20 number.

the biggest problem turned out to be the huge amount of grease that rendered off into the grease pan. (my SM066 is on the CS stand and uses a smaller volume grease pan)
Like the good cooks above said,it depends on how you use it,what you cook,and who the main operator is.

I've had my 160 for around a decade and won't get rid of it.Restaurants around the country have depended on them for at least a couple decades.It can almost run it self.Our 160 peaks a little above 300º.The knowledgable folks at CS are probably recommending by what and how you cook.
Presently,they are not allowed by some of the sanctioning organizations we cook.

We've had several FEC 100s,of all models they make.We've not had any of the rare occurences you mention and we beat them to death all over the SE.

The FEC 100 recovers heat a little faster when you open the door.We don't cook comps anywhere near 300º,and only occasionally would we do it at home.They are a little more versatile than our traditional CS.

Both are great cookers.
I had a 66 and swapped it for a FEC 100. I'm so glad I did. The 66 was too small for me, coming from a masterbuilt, which had a little more room. The FEC 100, at first I thought was overkill, until I bought a vacume sealer, then my friends started buying my put-up leftovers.
I think I've paid for it thru unintentional sales. I love the way it cooks. Smoke rings on everything! Bulk pellets are the answer. I went thru about 750 pounds in my first year, somewhat less this year due to the move and such.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.