Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have done exactly what you are trying to do... cold smoke some store-bought (or similar) bacon.

But I have the cold smoke baffle to use. I would guess you could do the same by wrapping one of your racks completely with foil like folks have suggested. I think that would work fine. And put a generous pan of ice on top of that rack and hang the bacon above.

I run the smoker at 225 for 25 mins or until the top section becomes 90 degrees. Then turn the smoker off (any more might do damage) and let it sit for about 90 mins.

I buy the thickest sliced bacon I can find to do this but it sure tastes yummy.
When I cold smoke, I'm always careful not to let the temperature in the smoker get above 90 degrees, and I would use the same idea for the bacon. You want to be careful not let the bacon cook, and at the same time be at at a temperature that could be unsafe and cause bacteria to form.

I use the cold smoke baffle when I cold smoke, it makes it a lot easier to control the lower temperatures of your smoker while still getting a good amount of smoke going. If you're using pre-cut, store-bought bacon, I would just put it in there laid out in strips, on the racks (or on a seafood grill to make sure it's not falling through) and put the cold smoke baffle in the bottom rack of the smoker, with a pan of ice on top. Put a chunk of wood in the woodbox,close the door, set the smoker to 150 degrees, leave it on for 20 minutes, and then turn it off and let it sit for another hour to an hour and a half without opening the door. This way, it should stay cool enough in there to keep the bacon from cooking, but get smoky enough to infuse the bacon with flavor.

If you have any questions, always feel free to call Cookshack customer service at 1-800-423-0698, M-F 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, but be sure to post your results here so that everyone will know what happens!

Thanks,
Heather
Last edited by Former Member
Yes, yes.... I have the cold smoke baffle and it is well insulated.

But... but.... I'm worried about overheating the bottom section, which if you put the baffle on the bottom level of the side-racks.... will make the element section pretty small and with no temp sensor. I thought the word from the factory was no more than 20 minutes or such when using the baffle.

Do you put the baffle a lot higher?
Hi treeshaker,

I salt cure my own bacon ( or you can use shop bought ) and give it a cold smoked taste as follows:

I put a double sheet of aluminium foil over the top of my Smokette. Punch a hole through the foil so the top vent is clear.

Load the Smokette with the same amount of wood you would use if you were going to smoke the bacon normally i.e inside.

Set the temp to around 175/200, close door. Switch on.

When smoke appears through the top vent, put your bacon on a wire rack over the vent. Leave a gap of about 3 inches if you can.

Put a cardboard box over the bacon/rack. (It's important you punch a hole in each top corner of the cardboard box, clearly you don't need a bottom to the cardboard box !)

Leave until no more smoke is visible through the holes in your cardboard box.

Turn off the Smokette. Leave for 30 mins.

Cook a small piece of your bacon. If it's to your taste fine, if not repeat the process until you get the level of smokiness you want.

This is not smoke cured bacon, i.e treat it as you would any uncooked meat. I freeze mine in slices, cubed, as a whole piece or leave enough in the fridge for immediate use.

This process is best carried out on a cool day, don't try it at 30 degrees C.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Grahame

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.