Skip to main content

Does anyone have a "Full" copy of the brisket recipe winner from the 2000-2001 Contest?

I can find it in about 5 posts with a search, but it has question marks for some of the recipe quantities.
I want to get it right, rather than guess, as I am cooking for a crowd and need to look good Big Grin

My local Wally World has some big untrimmed flats, (big - 7,8 and 9 lbs each and thick 3"+).
They also have full Packers.

All my reading tells me that I should go with the packers, but as I am cooking a few people, the flats would be less work.

Am I being too lazy even thinking about flats?

Flats or packers................
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Eck Lad - In answer to question 1, I did a search and came up with the same question marks that you referenced. Kind of bizarre. Anyway, I previously copied the the original recipe which follows:

2000-2001 Recipe Contest Grand Prize Winner Smoked Beef Brisket

10 lb. brisket, packer trim

Marinade
§ ½ cup orange juice
§ ½ cup coke
§ 1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
§ 1-½ tbsp. celery salt
§ 1-½ tbsp. cinnamon
§ 1-½ tbsp. sea salt
§ 1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
§ 1-½ tbsp. oregano

Place the brisket and marinade in a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.

Rub
§ 1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
§ 1-½ tbsp. celery salt
§ 1 tbsp. chili powder
§ 1-½ tbsp. sea salt
§ 1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
§ 1-½ tbsp. oregano

While the brisket is coming to room temperature, apply rub. Smoke-cook at 225 degrees F for 12 hours with ½ hickory and ½ oak wood. Turn smoker temperature control to 150 degrees F.

Finishing Sauce Rub
§ 1/4 cup brown sugar
§ 1/8 c. honey
§ 1/8 c. orange juice
§ 1/8 c. ketchup

Remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket. Pour finishing sauce over the brisket. Wrap securely.
Place in smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees F.
Remove brisket from smoker and open the foil to let steam escape. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Baste and serve with accumulated juices.

Try it - You'll understand why it was a winner. Other than a couple of minor ingredient, wood, temp, and timing changes, I stick with the original recipe. It's definately my "go to" method for brisket.
What a timely post. I did a 12# brisket today in my 08. One of my best briskets to date.

I must say that it is sad that I must part with my 08 after all of the great Q it has made..........

But only because my new 50 is supposed to be here tomorrow Big Grin

Seems that I always need more room for all of the things I want to smoke so I guess I can justify the upgrade............. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.