Skip to main content

I am a fairly new cookshack user. Most things are coming out great, but I have had a problem the last 2 times I have done pork butts, and was hoping for a solution.

Last night I put 2 butts in at 200 degrees. One on the highest shelf, the other one on the next shelf down it would fit on. When they were done this morning (they were both 190-195), they had come out very different, just like last time I tried 2.

The top one was kind of dry and crispy on the outside, and the shreds were much drier. The bottom one was falling apart an very moist, which I liked better.

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My last cook, this week i done 4 @ 8 lbs eachl, the lower two( cooked fat down)were done in 13 hrs (194*), but the upper2 (fat up)went 19 1/2 hrs to get to 194*. There wasn't much difference in moistness & all 4 had about58% loss. They were purchased @ BJ's .
They had an extra large fat layer w/the skin still on. Each time I cook butts it seems like another adventure??
RT
You didn't mention,so I'll assume:

Either,or neither,were previously frozen.

Both came from same place,time,size,untrimmed,bone in.

Each was over six pounds.

You checked temps in a couple different places with an instaread,when they read about 187º.

You wiggled the bone,and squeezed it for softness at this point.

Like Ribdog says,switch racks and turn them over about 1/2 way through the cook.

You could spray them with some apple juice ,at this point.

I don't switch on the traditional CS,but you could try.

Unless you are cooking at 200º for timing,I'd try 235º.

When done,spray with some apple juice,foil tightly and let set in a dry cooler for a couple hrs.

Hope this helps a little.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.