Skip to main content

We are going to have a party this weekend, A long time friend lost his fight with cancer a couple days ago. So in the True Biker tradition we are going to party!
I bought a 21 lb "7 bone" chuck roast yesterday to go along with the 3 briskets and a fresh ham.
I'm looking for some suggestions as to cooking this baby. Have 2 cookshacks so can do seperate.
Also anyone that wants to help out with bail money if I need it let me know, I don't want to be a customer of PrisonChef when Donna comes calling with my new smoker! Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did a 16.2 lb boneless chuck roast in my model 50 a few weeks ago. My goal was pulled beef. I rubbed it with Montreal Steak, used 2 chunks hickory and 1 briquet. It took about 7.5 hours (set at 225 deg) to reach 170. Mopped with apple cider/vinegar and foiled it at that point. Took about another 4 hours to reach 200. Pulled great.
Bill, I have had excellent results with dry aging 7 bone in the refer before cooking. Just open it up on a rack in the refer for 3-7 days. An auto defrost refer works faster, but not quite as well. Sometimes I just cook it straight up, sometimes with Monteal Steak. Very good eats! That Brown guy with the show named on the tube did a chuck pot roast show here last week. You might check it out for ideas also. Jerry
Well this 21 lber has grown to be several of them. Da boys heard I was smoking one so they went to the store and got 5 more! This is when I need Donna and my new bigger smoker!
The good news is I can also do them 5 differnt ways if I want.

Still taking suggestions....... So far I have one dry ageing.

Cool
Well I survived the memorial weekend for my friend. Ended up doing 5 roasts 4 in the smokers and one on the rotiss. 26 hours at 225 in the 50 and 008, all rubbed with something differnt from HC, CS, one of my originals and 2 from the BBQ store. Took them out and wrapped in double foil. Placed in 3 uphill saddlebags for transport. {downhill Bags are for Iced Beer and have a petcock to drain}. My yield was at 50%. According to everyone the CS won hands down over the rotiss beef. Beef pulled like pork! Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.