Skip to main content

i smoked 2 6.6# butts for lunch at work plus a smaller one for a guy to take home. i also decided to try some baked beans in the smoker. they were bush's regular with nothing added. i used 5.4 oz. of white oak for the smoke.

i set the smoker at 225 and checked the beans after an hour. they had some pretty good smoke so i removed them. after 5 hours (9pm), the probed butt was at 150 and i thought they were cooking too quickly. so i lowered the temperature to 200 and at midnight, it was at 160. at 6am, it was at 168. now i'm thinking they were cooking too slowly, so i bumped to 250. the smaller butt took 17 hours and the larger butts 18 hours. all were pulled at 195 and double-wrapped in foil and put in a cooler. after 1.5 hours, they were pulled.

now i'm still a rookie but have done butts to 190 and they are awesome. i would have to say that 195 is even better! also, the beans were great.

now i have to stop over-analyzing when i think the BBQ is cooking too fast or too slow. adjusting the smoker according to my uneducated guesses has proven to be wrong. from now on, i'm going to set it at 225 and realize it's going to go fast, then slow, then fast.

here's what they looked like before smoking.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 3butts
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For your BUSH's beans, next time try this. After opening the cans, drain them, as much as you can, then dump them into an aluminum pan.

Add, onion, bacon, yellow mustard, molasses, brown sugar, KC MAsterpiece, Lee and Parrins, garlic powder and cumin.....stir and adjust to taste, then smoke for 3 hours, stir beans about every 45 minutes.....This will be the best BBQ beans you ever tasted... The stiring will incorporate more of the smoking flavor throughout....This is why I smoke my beans all by themselves or on an offset.....

good luck

dan
quote:

now i have to stop over-analyzing when i think the BBQ is cooking too fast or too slow. adjusting the smoker according to my uneducated guesses has proven to be wrong. from now on, i'm going to set it at 225 and realize it's going to go fast, then slow, then fast.

This is still one of my main problems. I need to just leave it at 225* and walk away.

Dan, I am looking forward to trying your bean recipe. Could you give us a better idea on the quantities or is it a "guesstimate"?
Just-A-Dude...it's more of a specific taste.....

If I use 3 large #10 cans of Bush's Orginal, drained, I chop a med. onion throw that in, squirt some KC Masterpiece up and down and back and forth on top, about the same with the plain yellow mustard, mix, and taste....Add the molasses, I guess maybe a 1/2 cup for 3 large cans....It's mainly done by experience and taste. What really makes them good is chopped burnt ends from brisket.....but I normally just fry up a pound of hickory smoked bacon and add that too.....

Add you ingrediants a little at a time and taste and adjust. By the time I'm done, I have my son come in for a final taste test since my taste buds are, by now, overloaded!!!!

Beans are the easiest to smoke....you can't mess them up....

And when I smoke brisket, ribs or butts, I set my temps at 225 and just walk away, I go by my remote temp probes and the poke test near the end.

My beans are requested every year at our Lockheed Martin Christmas party, no one want's the beans from Famous Dave's or Red, Hot and Blue.....because mine are best!!!!

I smoked up 6 #10 cans this past Christmas!!!!

good luck!!

dan

dan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.