Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know this has been discussed about not blocking the vent hole, but..... I cranked it up to 450 to get the skin crispy. I could get it to read above 270. I also don't have a gasket on the door and just received the unit a week ago. Any thoughts? It got down to -37 last night and with the heavy cold air I might be able to choke down the 5" vent some. I read on the smokette II board where someone block the output a little to be able to hold 225+ in Minnesota in the winter.
This is from Fast Eddy so it sounds like you should not block the vent in any way.

Earl

posted January 28, 2004 07:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What ever you do DO NOT BLOCK THE VENT. This will cause a jam in the feed system. Believe me the vent must be the size it is.
smokingman,

Do not use the ideas from the smokette on your FE. When talking about the smokers, there setup and use is totally different so you can't.

Also, not all units have the seal. Mine doesn't and I don't have any problems with fit.

And let's be realistic, if it's -32, I think that's the definition of COLD. I'm sure a thermal scientist can tell us that the -32 coming inside effect how high an internal temp.

But don't go making modifications. Like we say over in the CS forums, you don't want to violate the warranty.

Besides, maybe someone can come up with a good idea to help.

Smokin'
Speaking of extreme cold temperature cooking, the last couple of times that I've tried cooking on the FE when the temp outside was 0 or less, I had a problem with the FE not cycling off and the temp just kept climbing. I have the FE in a non-heated garage, but I have a portable propane heater that I fire up before I start the FE and get the temp in the garage up above freezing. Both times I have shut off the FE and let it cool back down below 100 deg. and restart and it seems to work fine after that. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!
At least it won't be dark as long tommorrow!

The cars in the shop, and the diesel pick up didn't start so me and the Mrs. stayed in the house all day; drank beer, smoked cigars and listened to Christmas Carols.

Mike Tice and the Viking-gos looked silly celebrating their muffed X-point win against the Lions. I hope the D-backs can hang on to 3 picks from Brett Favorite, Christmas eve.

Boom! Boom! C'mon!....Out go the lights!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.