Skip to main content

Started with 2 10# packers from Walmart.

Used Mike Trump's (Oakridge BBQ) method of separating the point and flat and trimming well.
This is the fat side after trimming.

This is the lean side after trimming.

Rubbed with Cookshack brisket rub and loaded them into the FEC120 this morning. It was 34º out and I had to put a heating pad on the FEC's control panel for 5 minutes to get it to go, then set it at 230º

At 3 hours the internal temp on the flats were 165º so I foiled just the 2 flats. (I'm not a foil'er but wanted to try Mike's method) I just left the points alone.

2 1/2 hours later the flats were at 195º so I pulled everything and let it rest for 20-25 minutes and then cubed the points and sliced the flats.

The burnt ends had great bark and were tender and juicy, I was planning on saucing half and putting them back in for an hour tomorrow for Easter dinner but many of them were eaten just like this, no one even wanted any sauce.

The flats were pretty much the same story very moist and tender when sliced.

Mike cooks his at 250º and he normally hits 165º in 6 hours and then foils the flats and said everything is usually done in 2 more hours for a total of 8 hours.

Can the 120's convection speed things up that much or were my briskets just good tender ones?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.