Skip to main content

Cooked on 200* for 25 hours. Meat was at 174*. Turned up to 250* for 4 hours. Meat came out at 201*. Rested for about an hour while cleaning up the smoker. Used 6 ounces of whiteoak heartwood. Homemade rub. Skin left on and placed skin down. Very good. Smoke just right. I think leaving the skin on and placed down soaked up the excess smoke and made it just right. Bark was excellent, some crispy, some chewy. Spice was very good also.

Attachments

Images (10)
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_001
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_003
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_005
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_006
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_007
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_008
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_009
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_010
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_012
  • 7.5_lb._pork_shoulder_013
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
I would have thought there would be lots of comments by this morning!

Hey, it's early yet<insert smiley thingy> Nice job on the pics- they're not so dark that you can't see clearly. Question. I see you put your meat closer to the woodbox, I've always tried to put the meat as high up in the smoker as I can without touching the top, thinking that most of the smoke will be up there. Have you tried both ways, and what were your results? Thanks in advance-
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
"Something" Now, are ya happy neighbor? Big Grin KIDDING! Your's looks a lot like mine do when they come out (i.e., "This is going to be like eating boot-leather!"). Never had a bad butt yet!

Good job!

Thanks. I like to shred the meat kinda coarse with my fingers and anyone else's I can borrow at the time, and cut the bark up smaller with meat scissors. My son (16) wants his own smokette. I would get him one if I thought his Mother wouldn't enjoy it also!!!

Eeker
Have you tried making your own slaw? I really don't care for KFC unless that's the only thing to eat.. but I DO like their slaw.

There is a website called Secret Recipes.. or something like that. Some good, some great cones of items found in resturants we might all know. Well, one of the clones I found was KFC's slaw.. every time I make it.. the guests LOVE it..
Shoulder looks good!!!

Top Secret Recipes
version of KFC® Cole Slaw
8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces (about the size of rice).

2. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth.

3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

I like the KFC slaw too!!! Here ya go..

dan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.