Skip to main content

Hi all, my SM066 purchased in 2010 is tripping the GFI outlet as soon as I plug it in. We've just moved into a newer house a couple months ago and to be honest the smoker may not have been used in more than a couple years. Things happened and we moved a couple of times.

Anyway I checked the FAQ and it says for this issue to plug it into a non-GFI outlet for an hour, then try the GFI outlet again. Is that really safe to do?

Last edited by pigskins
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In answer to your question, yet, you are safe. My smoker is never plugged into a gfci outlet. I just make sure I am wearing rubber soled shoes and not standing in water.  

It could also be the gfci as they do wear out.  You can plug in a heat generating item into the gfci and see if it trips it.  Check the amp rating on the smoker and make sure the item - toaster, toaster oven, steam iron, etc pulls the same or greater amps. If the outlet is bad, it SHOULD trip but no guarantee.  If it trips, replace it.  If it does not trip, move on: Plug your smoker into another gfci outlet, preferably on another circuit (check your breaker panel). If it does not trip, the other outlet is bad.  If it trips, test the outlet with an heat generating item as previously described.

There are lots of things that can be wrong up to and including a short to ground in the smoker which is easy to check with a multimeter. A short to ground is through the smoker to you with you being pretty much the ground. Thus, the use of a multimeter and the smoker unplugged. You or a friend can handle this and make the correction.  You may have a loose connection in the smoker and again that is an easy fix.

As a word of caution:  I am a tinkerer, not an election. Between books and youtube I manage to do a lot in a safe manner.

http:/http://www.appliance411.com/faq/test-element.shtmlwww.appliance411.com/faq/test-element.shtml

Last edited by oldsarge

After posting here I copied the same message to CS support. Lynn got back to me right away. I see the company is still great after 12 years of me owning a CS!

I ran an extension cord into the house and plugged into a non-GFCI, ran it for 2.5 hours, then retried the outdoor outlet and ran it for another hour without a problem. I think I'm ready for the big weekend!

I have had same issue tripping gfi outlets multiple different breaker box. Didn’t do this first couple years. Just got new one and same thing. Find if heat up on non gfi outlet and then can switch. If using frequently doesn’t trip. Told is condensation. My fec 100 doesn’t do this. My question if have newer construction and will be mostly gfi outlets how do you warm up. Love the Amerique but how do you recommend to friends if have to have non gfi outlet to warm up

My recommendation is to have a separate outlet just for the smokers, especially if it is a gfci.  Do not have an outlet installed on another run.  Separate and dedicated.  Also, have the electrician double check his/her work with the smoker up and running.  He/she may be able to identify the problem if the gfci trips.  

@catoosaman posted:

I have had same issue tripping gfi outlets multiple different breaker box. Didn’t do this first couple years. Just got new one and same thing. Find if heat up on non gfi outlet and then can switch. If using frequently doesn’t trip. Told is condensation. My fec 100 doesn’t do this. My question if have newer construction and will be mostly gfi outlets how do you warm up. Love the Amerique but how do you recommend to friends if have to have non gfi outlet to warm up

Did you get the problem solved?

GFCI are by design very sensitive to the slightest electrical "leakage". This is to protect you from being electrocuted when attempting to blow dry your hair while in the bathtub!

I doubt you are at risk of anything remotely similar with your Smoker! Construction Electrical Codes require outdoor outlets and those near water (bathroom, kitchen sink) to have GFCI to protect us dummies!

Your smoker really doesn't need GFCI protection. It will be protected by the standard circuit breaker which is overload (amperage).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.