Skip to main content

Greeting everybody!!!! Received my SM025 last night and I am seasoning it right now. I tried the search function with no luck for the answer to my question.

Loaded the box with the appropiate amount of hickory chunks set the temp at 200 degrees. Its been almost two hours and the temp is holding steady at 200. In the begining beautiful clouds of smoke were billowing out but after an hour there is no smoke to be seen. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.... gonna smoke some cheese tonight!!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

HI Loopy, My 25 came yesterday also. Did the exact same thing. I'm a newbie too, Welcome aboard! Check out page 7 of your manual, gives you an idea what to expect.I didn't agree with the cheap meat part so I just put the wood in. Keep posting , let everyone know how you're doing. Lot's of nice experienced folks here.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
The "cheap,fatty meat" helps coat the walls,and gives you the color/surface that you achieve with an old iron skillet.

Much less power is used and much more even cooking is the result.

There might be a reason ,that the folks that have built this cooker for a half century,say use fatty meats-they know stuff.

Great info Tom!

I had done a forum search on seasoning new smokers. (my sm020 arrives this Friday!!!) Looked like main concern was 1)ridding new smoker of residue from manufacturing 2)coating inside walls with smoke/oils to lessen their ability to absorb flavor and smoke (ie meat gets more). 3)smoking cheap cut helps with #2, and allows test run of smoker to check out operation and operator lol. 4) Lastly it(seasoning new smoker) seems to be a time honored ritual for new smokers... who would want to skip that!

I wasn't aware that it can save power. How does that work exactly? Thx again. Mark
Guys,

It's simple.

Wipe it down, out.

Throw some wood in, let it smoke overnight, no food, no water, nothing.

Next day, put some PB in and smoke that for a first smoke.

BBQ is simple, let's not over think it. Forums can sometimes complicate the simple tasks so let's not.

Just me trying to keep it easy for the newbies.
Thanks Smokin' Okie. You summarized it nicely.
B
The biggest I read on this forum is that of caution.

yeah, when you get your smoker, season it. But don't over analyze it. Just clean it, and run a few hours smoke through it. Done. Now enjoy.

Beyond that, just enjoy. It realloy doesn't matter how extensively your smoker is set. In fact, at some point in th future, you're going to have to scrape some excess seasoning off the walls of your smoker.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.