Skip to main content

I had family over this weekend and decided to smoke some butts. Couldnt find a large one, so i went with 2 five pound butts. Rubbed them down, put them in at 225 around midnight with 2 chunks of applewood and they turned out fantastic. They hit 195 around 11 am, family was coming over around 1pm for the games, I did the FTC, pulled them around 1:30 pm and they were moist, tender and great smoke flavor. Needless to say, I'm very popular with the family right now. For all the newbies out here(myself included) just follow the advice on this forum and the 101's. It's really that simple!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats on a job well done.

I have a hard time staying up to midnight anymore, so I will start them out low, usually 200* on a 7 1/2 lb PB and go to bed at 9pm. That way I can get up early and drink coffee with Tom...LOL!

I can always turn up the smoker in the morning, if needed and when I want. It's just amazing what a little smoking/practice will do for a fella AND this fine forum.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Once you've done a couple of briskets for a baseline of what you like, give Butcher BBQ Brisket Injection a try. David (BBBQ) is a forum member and usually a top finisher at competitions. His line of products are all top notch.

Max, you bring up a point.

For me, I never use injections like Dave's or anyone else for home use. When I eat too much of an injected butt, I just don't like the taste. It's TOO good basically. In a contest they'll only get a bite or two, so you have to make that one bite great.

Sure, anyone can experiment with them at home and if you like it, I'd certainly do it. But for me, that's just a little over the top.

You individual mileage may vary (YIMMV)
Sometimes old guys[experienced] add some great points. Wink

I've never seen that thought posted this way,because we think all folks know this?

I've had to do two seats and Table Capt at a couple,and especially doing large Memphis in May where they heavily inject everything.

Dales' seasoning is heavily relied on and it has a lot of soy sauce taste/feel.

A couple days later,I still couldn't tell the difference between dill pickles and strawberry ice cream. Confused

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.