Skip to main content

I have a 8lb wagu brisket I'm planning on smoking this weekend in either a Cookshack SM025 or a PG1000?

The PG1000 is new and I've only used for grilling over the past couple of weeks.  Was wondering folks thoughts for smoking a brisket, which is a little longer of a smoke.

Which Cookshack would you use and why??

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the reply mounainman.  To be honest, I have never attempted to smoke a brisket.  Done a number of butts, chickens, ribs, and salmon in the SM025 but I've never attempted a brisket. So this is new territory.

Been reading the forums and will probably try a straightforward recipe of using just a fast eddy's dry rub, smoking at 230 or so, and maybe wrapping with butcher paper and some beef broth around 170ish.

Leaning towards the PG1000 and starting at 200 for the first 2-3 hrs and then bumping up to 230 or the remainder.  Just wondering if there are more temp swings with PG1000 vs the SM025 or other reason one may be better than the other.  I am interested in tasting the difference between the smoke methods - pellets vs wood chunks (electric).  

I have both a PG1000 (not much older than yours) and a SMO66.  I am assuming that with the 8 pound weight of your brisket that it is a flat instead of a whole packer.  The flats are fairly lean.  I would tell you to use the SMO25 for your first brisket (first several actually).  SMO25 was designed as a brisket smoking oven.  I would start by seasoning your brisket a day or so before you plan to smoke it.  I put the brisket on a baking sheet with a cooling rack on it and put the whole thing in the refrigerator uncovered.  The day of the smoke prep the smoker and put the cold brisket fat side up in the cold smoker.  The idea is to get as much smoke on the brisket as possible before the brisket hits 140-160 degrees internal temp.  There are some different thoughts on wrapping or not wrapping, and what to wrap with.  I do not wrap my briskets.  Some people like to wrap with aluminum foil and others wrap with paper.  You need to know that when they wrap with butcher paper, it isn't the white or brown paper that is lined.  The butcher paper used in smoking is actually peach colored and is unlined.  This paper is porous and will let additional smoke into the meat.  Your idea of adding liquid to the brisket when it is wrapped is probably not going to work with this paper.  Watch your internal temperature and when the brisket hits 190 degrees use a tooth pick or skewer to probe the meat.  If the skewer doesn't feel like it is going into warm butter the brisket needs more time.  I have had briskets that were done at 190 degrees and some that weren't done until they hit 212-215 degrees.  Once you have a done brisket place it into a pre-warmed ice chest.  I use the disposable aluminum pans for this.  Let the brisket rest for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 4 hours before you slice it.  The reason I say to use the SMO25 is that they are very forgiving for this type of cook.  They use little wood and cook very moist.  Once you have done several briskets in the SMO25 and have the technique down, try doing one on the PG1000. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.