Skip to main content

I'm going to order a Cookshack smoker. I have researched and understand all of the differences in features, etc. I've settled on either an SM045 (SuperSmoker Elite), or SM066 (Amerique). For me the choice really just comes down to how much meat can each one hold? I think the SM045 will be fine for me, but would hate to spend this much on a smoker and then run out of room. I normally just cook for 5-10 people, but would occasionally like to be able to feed a group of 50-75.

Can some owners of each model please comment on how much they've fit into their smokers without cramming too much? How many ribs can I fit into each model at once? How many pork butts? Chickens?

If anyone has pictures of fully leaded smokers that would help a lot, especially if you specify the model number with the picture. Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Ack!,

Nice to hear that you have done some valuable research on the CS, like so many of us, and have decided this is what you want in a smoker, you won't be sorry.

While I have an elite series(020) and no pictures. I have seen a thread that TNQ has put together a little info on the capacity of the different smokers. Maybe this will help?

I would suggest calling CS and talking with customer service, they are so helpful, knowledgeable, and all them cook on a CS.

With a little experience, I have no doubt that either unit will work for what you are asking about. If not completely satisfied in 30 days, return for the unconditional money back,hey, what a good company.

I'm sure some of the owners will chime in, but don't know about pics? I can fit two PBs on a shelf and the smokers cook as well, if not better on full loads.

By the way, welcome to the family, your gonna love a CS!!!
Your quiet welcome! When cooking for a large group, I put the big meats in for cooking when done, FTC, then turn to cooking the ribs. I've never had any cold meat.

I would guess with 3 shelves you could cook enough for 100 people or more doing this. Of course it will take a little experience,but that's the FUN part.
quote:
Originally posted by Ack:
Can some owners of each model please comment on how much they've fit into their smokers without cramming too much? How many ribs can I fit into each model at once? How many pork butts? Chickens?
Thanks!

I'm in the process of deciding which smoker to get and have narrowed to these two smokers as well. I also have the same question as the OP, specifically, the one quoted above.

I currently have a cheap gas smoker. It has 4 shelves, each approximately 12" x 14". I can get four 7-8 lb pork butts (about 30 lbs) in the smoker if I take out 2 shelves. When I look at the SM045, it lists 3 shelves, each 14" x 18". It seems like I should be able to smoke roughly 50%-100% (depending on the number of shelves I'm able to use) more meat than in my current smoker. But, that doesn't seem to be the case if the listed 35 lb capacity is accurate.

So, my question is basically the same as the one above. How many pork butts can you fit in the smoker? For those using the RibRacks, how many RibRacks can you fit in the smoker (each RibRack appears to hold 7 racks of ribs)? Feel free to comment on either the AmeriQue or the SM045.
I have the older AmQ design but I don't think the hangers or shelves have changes. There are 4 slots on the hangers for the 4 shelves and 2 holes to adjust how the hangers are installed. Either way the hangers are installed you can really only use 3 shelves. With top hole/slot installation the bottom shelf is only 3/4" from the top of the wood box, which is too close as the heat is too much at that range. With bottom hole/slot mounting the top shelf is not usable and it is about 2" from the top of the smoker making is non-usable. So that leaves you with 3 shelves of 14" x18" to fit as many PB on there as you like as long as you allow for air flow. The dimension between the top shelf and 2nd shelf is 5"; the dimension to the next shelf is 4"; the dimension to the next shelf is 6". That is how it is on mine. I suspect that the issue with the smaller smokers might be that even tho' it will hold 3 shelves you may only be able to use 2 shelves when smoking PB. With the bottom hole/slot installation there is only about 3 1/2" from the top shelf to the top of the smoker making it too tight to use of PB.

For my $0.02 it would make much more sense to make the side racks with slots a 2 1/2" on center the full length on each side so that the shelves can be more appropriately spaced where you can actually use all of them if needed. There is no need for the two-hole/slot arrangement.
quote:
Originally posted by buckeye:
Wow. Thanks for the quick info but that's very disappointing. I wonder why they don't just make the 6 slot side rack standard (or 4 slot on the SM045). You would at least have some better options.

Any other people with the 045 have any comments?

agreed, the multi slot should be standard! How may kitchen ranges to you know that charge extra for more oven rack slots? ans = none
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
You're not getting them for free. It's in the price of the product.

no one is suggesting anything for free. Simply asking for intelligent design as part of the standard issue. CS apparently knows there is an issue. Why else would they create hangers with more slots as an option. The increased cost to add a few slots is minimal compared to the MSRP for the optional hangers. They should be standard; so what if the unit cost needs to go up a buck or two.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.