Skip to main content

It's that time again! I know this is just a few days ahead of schedule, but I don't think I will be available this weekend to kick this off. So here goes:

This is the place to sign up for the May 2012 Sauce and Rub exchange. The exchange will work like this. You will submit your name here to this forum. I will add you to this list at the bottom of this post. You will then send me your name and mailing address to my private message box. I will reply to you that I have recieved it. Then when the sign up date closes, I will begin assigning each of the participants a recipient. I will then private message you your recipients name and address. You will have 10 days to put together a package containing not less then $25 in sauces and rubs. These sauces and rubs should be something you created or with some research a retail item that you think your recipient has not had the opportunity to try. It could be a local joints sauce or rub that only is sold in thier establishment. It could be a sauce or rub that you pick up out on the circuit. Have fun with it, get creative and keep in mind that the $25 is a minimum. But nobody should expect more then the $25. I suspect a lot of people will be discussing thier box here in the forum. Maybe you could add a personal touch item to really kick up the experience. A couple of your favorite beer coasters, a bbq sticker, etc etc. Not expected, but could be an added bonus item. Please remember this is supposed to remain annonymous and then once shipments are made you are free to discuss the boxes, sender, likes and dislikes. Just keep it light and honest. Some participants might actually send you a secret recipe they have been working on or one they use at home. They might actually like to hear some feedback. But, let me remind you. It is not a requirement in this exchange to send a homemade item.

Listed below are the important dates and some information.

$25 minimum
4/30 deadline to submit your name and address
5/1 assignments to be Private Messaged
5/1-5/12 shipping

Here is the list of participants. Check back here to see your name on the list. Also I will place a Smiler next to your name once you send me your address.

2nd Hand Smoke Smiler
Cal Smiler
Joe M Smiler
SteveChris10sen Smiler
RichH Smiler
AndyJ Smiler
bubbasz1 Smiler
Vicki B Smiler
Cook One Smiler
iSmoke Smiler
Mattysdaddy Smiler
David Qualls Smiler
Que'n RN Smiler
S & H Smiler
BD in KS Smiler
Soleman Smiler
nysmoke Smiler
padrefan98 Smiler

Feel free to ask questions through Private message or post them here to the forum. Please only reply to this thread that you want to participate or if you have questions. We will create a new thread for the time when people wish to discuss the boxes. Thanks everyone! Have fun!
Please see how succesful our first exchange went. You wont want to miss this one.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1028883/m/9612941427
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I really enjoyed the first exchange, both giving and receiving, but unfortunately, I'm going to have to sit this one out also. I've been traveling around 80% of the time since the third week in January, and don't see much of a let up until the end of May. Most of my recent forum posts have been from hotel rooms, airport lounges, and the occasional airplane with on-board WiFi (like now). What little free time that I do have is gobbled up by my wife's endless project list.

Count on me in the Fall exchange when things slow down a bit.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
Thanks for the plug Smokin. It really is fun. It's like Christmas, or the night before a trip to Disneyland. It brings out the kid in you. The excitement of a total stranger sending you a gift.

I agree completely, the only thing is if you send something home made, please be willing to share the recipe. This was a ton of fun last time, even a couple of nice t-shirts were exchanged. Sign up.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
Where are all the original participants? Show your support for this and sign up! We had so much fun, lets do it again!

I'm spending my spring traveling back and forth from Florida to Maine finishing out my contract prior to full retirement at the end of the fiscal year June 30th.

I'm with Pags...I catch you guys and gals next time around for sure.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan:
It's all good fellas! There will be future exchanges.

Don't know about that? Seems to me there are too many fellas not cooking enough to use up their rubs. This is a serious offense that shouldn't be taken lightly, ya know!

Any way, lets get some new blood involved. This is gonna be a lot of FUN and don't think a person needs to go over and beyond on their boxes. That's not what this is about, it's about caring and sharing.....so anyone care to share with us folks that are ready and willing??????

It's not hard to join in!!!
Hey Cal. 20 bottles of sauces (full and partial) and 18 containers of rub just don't go fast enough. I've quite a few duplicates cause I always order more than I need online to get to "free shipping". May give some away at an end of April barbecue at a buddy's. Folks'll love it.

It'll get whittled down one way or the other, and I won't miss the next exchange cause it's a real kick. Future sauce/rub purchases will be coordinated around the 2 annual exchanges.
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
I agree completely, the only thing is if you send something home made, please be willing to share the recipe. This was a ton of fun last time, even a couple of nice t-shirts were exchanged. Sign up.

Yep, agree there. Got some AWESOME homemade sauce, alas, it's a family secret. Frowner
Yeah, been trying to put some thoughts into what I'm sending out this time. Did pick up some treasures at the VFW cook in Overland Park, KS last weekend that I might include as gifts.

I do think I'll send some different types of sauce and rub this time, but they will be local stuff.

Running out of time to sign up everyone, don't miss this chance for some FUN.... a nice chance to join in for those that have always wanted to participate on the forum and was shy, besides you will get a chance to try out some other regional sauce/rub...now that can't be all bad?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.