Skip to main content

Cooking baby back ribs I use a rub.

2 Tablespoons coarse salt
3 Tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3 Tablespoons paprika
2 Teaspoon onion power
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper

Set my temp at 225 but the ribs get a little to dark for me (almost to the burn stage). I was thinking of cooking at 200 or even 185 degrees to help eliminate the dark browing.

I like the ribs to fall off the bone which at 225 takes around 7 to 8 hours.

Any advise would be appreciated
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Personally,before I dropped my temps,I'd drop the dark brown sugar.

Use turbinado,if you are concerned about scorching.

Some paprikas can also scorch and give too dark a color.

What wood are you using,as that can also darken the ribs.

I haven't had the pleasure of cooking on the Amerique,yet-but I'd personally be more prone to cook at a little higher temps.

Just a couple of thoughts.
A bit of a late reply to this but, I have been scanning the forum to catch up on things. I just did 3 spare ribs for 7 hours at 225 and they were fall off the bone fabulous. Outside temp was plus 4 degrees. Used 2 oz of mesquite. I used the CS Rib Rub the night before and wrapped them in plastic wrap. Smoked meat side down and never opened the door. Pulled them out and the skin was cracked and meat was pulled back from the bone. Sauced them, wrapped them in foil and a terry towel and they took a nap in the cooler.
An additional thought on Grilldaddy's reference to the rub. "Dried" chilis can be funny things. It's a natural challenge to find the exact chilis that may be called out in a recipe (specifically that one of 'A. Brown') and we tend to substitute.

SOME of the chilis do very poorly if they are oven, or even pan-toasted and get a bitter flavor and may even burn in a blink of an eye. Others take several minutes just to get some flavor going. And others still may be just right coming out of the package, seeded and stems removed, then whizzed up in blender, or spice grinder.

My point is that it is easy to ruin a rub if care isn't taken with the dried chilis. Get an ancho (for good taste), a hot one (for zing), and a black one (for depth of flavor), don't toast them, clean 'em and grind 'em and see how they taste before mixing up a whole batch of chili powder.

Just my fifth of a dime.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.