Skip to main content

I've tried brisket and pork butt on my charcoal grill. Nursing the fire, adding the chips, trying to keep the 200-225 temp, and doing that all day long. Only to have a piece of meat that was still tough and spiced so hot it was barely edible. Then a friend told me about Cookshack.

Finished my first smoke in new 008 last night and WOW! I prepared a 7.5 lb pork butt following tips from the forum: CS rib rub about three hours before smoking, injected with Smokin' Okie's Vinegar sauce that I halved the cayenne and red pepper. Most rubs and sauces with these two ingredients are way too hot for me! I started it at 9PM at 225. I didn't realize I put it in fat side down cause with the rub, it all looked the same, and it was dark!! It leveled at 165 just like you guys said, and then slowly climbed to 194 at 4PM. Guests were here (family - they're easy!) so I took it out, let it rest for 15 minutes, and pulled it. It was perfect! Effortlessly pulled with two forks, nice crisp bark, too! Mixed in some more of Smokin' Okie's vinegar sauce and served on buns. Had CS Spicy BBQ Sauce, and slaw on the side. WOW! Everyone loved it. They said it was one of my best efforts. It can't be this easy! Many thanks to Cookshack and the forum. Brisket is next!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.