Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tom D.,

When you ask about cook times for a meat, many people will come back and ask what grade of brisket you are cooking and whether it is a CAB brisket or such. Depending on the answer you give us will dictate the cooking times and such.

Same as with ribs. Are they baby backs or spares.

Can you tell we are detail oriented?

Congratulations on your new FEC. I love mine!!!
Well RibDog the rib question is easy. I personally like St. Louis style ribs. As for the brisket I will get a choice full size with point and flat and the pork butts I'm really sure what I am looking for other then bone in.
Iguess I am asking for ballpark numbers to know what time the might be done to feed the hungry masses Smiler
Tom D
Hope I did not offend you with my response. I have been burned in the past when I thought I was answering for choice brisket and they were using either a CAB or a prime brisket.

Pork butts will take the usual 1 1/2 to 2 hours per lb at 240. Personally, I start mine for the first two hours at smoke, the next two hours at 180 and the rest at 240. This is when I am cooking 4-16 butts at a time. I find that the left rear corner of my FEC tends to be hotter than the other areas.

I am sure Tom will chime in on briskets as he is the brisket cook on our team and I don't persnally cook many of them.

On ribs, I cook SL spares also. At home, I cook them at 240 for around five hours. A little more, a little less depending on how big they are.

If you like pulled or shredded beef, try a chuck roll sometime of cooking a brisket. Really nice and a more forgiving piece of meat than brisket.

Hope this helps.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.