Skip to main content

Okay so I just received my FEC-100 this week and like all of us I could not wait to cook on it. So I brought it home and fired it up... The first night I let it run for about 2 1/2 hours and cooked 2 pork chops on it. I know seems like a waste but after 14 cocktails you don't really care what you cook only that you are cooking something.

Lastnigt I came home and cooked some chicken on the smoker. Needless to say at this point I can't seem to think of anything else... I fired the smoker up but was not able to produce enough smoke to even fog up the cooking chamber. What did I do wrong?

When I fired the smoker up I set it to the 180 setting and allowed it to get started. Once it reached a temp of 150 I moved the dial down to smoke. Should I have just fired it up on the smoke setting?

Any and all feedback is welcome.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congratulations on your purchase. I love mine!

Personally, I just put mine on smoke when I start mine up each time. Since I do not empty out the hopper and the augur after each burn, it usually starts right up for me. Sometimes I have to turn it off and back on after about 3-4 minutes if I don't see any smoke coming out.

Get yourself some sausages and smoke them up on there. Have fun.
Jeff,

Tell me what you did exactly.

Did you turn it on 180 and after x min, it was up to temp and you never saw any smoker?

What pellet flavor?

When I start mine up, I have to worry about the neighbors calling the fire dept (until I offered them free food).

After it's on, just like other smokers, you'll get mostly clear smoke and white smoke (not much and not all the time) as it depends on the temp setting.

Think of it this way, if you threw a handful of pellets on a fire at 180, they won't burn as quickly as if you threw them on a fire at 350. Slower temps means more smoke/smolder (not the exact term, but just the idea).

Russ
So here's the update. I've learned that I've not waited long enough to allow the smoke to be produced. After letting it run until it smoked, tokk about 12 minutes on the smoke setting, everything is fine.

I'll be cooking with it all weekend in a vending job so I'll let you know how it goes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.