Skip to main content

I was recently using my brand new FEC100, (3rd time to be exact) to cook hamburgers on the high setting. When I went outside to see if the temp was ready the whole thing had died. No digital read out, no fan or auger. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a reset button I should look for?
Help
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Like Ribdog says.

I have used the bottom rack, at higher temps,to cook strip steaks and burgers.

The job is adequate,but not great.

Burgers are better than steaks.

I believe it was Rodney that preheats an iron skillet over the firebox for awhile and then adds 1 1/2 strips/ribeyes,etc.

I have done this also.

The wife/co-cook likes this method,as she likes a simple pan sauce from the drippin's.
Well this could be acouple of things. 1st might be the high temp shut off switch. It will turn the unit off at 450 then kick back on after it cools down to 350. Second could be the connectors inside the unit( the diff colored ones). I have had that happen sometimes they come loose. Mine does not have a reset button that I have found. Third I would look at the fuse. Where you running on a battery or home power?

Craig
FireHouseBBQ.us
I am having the same problem. Mine turns off at 390 not 450. Tony wants me to double check with another thermometer. Sounds to me like they may have a batch of bad probes or limit switches. I will do the test over the weekend and report back. I know they will take care of the problem.
Simply wire around the temp switch and put a toggle switch in the loop. That way you can bypass the switch when you want to cook hot, but have the safety feature when you are cooking slow. IMO it is an important safety feature and should be used while the cooker is unattended for extended periods of time.
Good question Huck, I hadn't jumped in because mine doesn't have the switch, it's too old. And I cook my chicken around 300 to 325 so I wouldn't see an issue with hitting a high temp switch issue.

I'd just caution anyone (moderator comment ahead) that changing the smoker, even adding a switch, might be violating the warranty. If it's out of warranty, then I guess you can modify it however you want.

Huck, just call CS up and ask how it's set up, they'll tell you so you can see if it's the problem. They can probably tell you when it kicks in, etc.
I just wanted to say that I have three FEC 100's two which are the new models. I have cooked many times on 180* for extended period of times here at home and have never had a proble. What I do is watch it for the first hour and then come back several hours later to check it. Never had a problem with any of the FEC's. So I am not sure why some units are going out in the 180 position.
Smoky Mountain Smokers
Thanks SmokinOkie, TnJoe, we have to order our smoker within a few days and we had the sm150 in the past (loved it,& never 1 probem) and then did some reading about the Fast Eddy and thought that we should buy that 1 first, and get the sm150 later, as business grows. Any switch problem and we'd be dead in the water untill it was fixed. Chicken in the sm150 was an issue, and after reading up on the Fast Eddy we thought it would do all our meats and our chicken would be better.
Huckabee

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.