Skip to main content

Has anyone had an issue with the temp display?

I cooked a bunch this past weekend on the FE and Saturday night the display started missing a line or two for the display making in impossible to see what temp I was on.

After playing with the temp dial I noticed that the display would come back but that now the temp dial was not working correctly.

I know, I've already left a message for technical help at Cookshack but I thought some of you may have seen or had somehting like this happen to you.

Also does anyone use a damper on the exit vent? I added one this weekend because I was having issues keeping temp, it helped but I noticed lots of mosture coming from the duct work..
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You did the right thing in contacting CS for help. Wait for them. Tony is good at getting back to you.

On the damper, I would say don't do it. I think Eddy would confirm that. You run the chance of keeping too much smoke in the smoker. Eddy has said before to be careful even putting a stack on the vent so as not restrict the airflow.
I have found in the past that the digital display does not mean anything. I put a high quality probe inside the FE, through the vent to determine the exact temperature inside the FE. Much more accurate information. Once you put a polder or another probe inside the FE you will realize that the digital display is just for entertainment and look cook, does not relate to the temperature actually inside the box.
quote:
Originally posted by duck:
I have found in the past that the digital display does not mean anything. I put a high quality probe inside the FE, through the vent to determine the exact temperature inside the FE. Much more accurate information. Once you put a polder or another probe inside the FE you will realize that the digital display is just for entertainment and look cook, does not relate to the temperature actually inside the box.

Well, maybe on yours, but both of my FE's are within a few degrees of the display. I check them all the time at contests and I trust my digital readout.

EXCEPT when it's coming up to a new temp.

Once it stabilizes, the temp inside is usually within a few degrees of that displayed.
Well, maybe on yours, but both of my FE's are within a few degrees of the display. I check them all the time at contests and I trust my digital readout.

EXCEPT when it's coming up to a new temp.

Once it stabilizes, the temp inside is usually within a few degrees of that displayed.
quote:
quote:

mine does the same. Just a few degrees difference when it is stable
Wipe the sides and bottom with cheap bottled lemon juice. That works the best for us. We had a lady tell us to try Dawn Power Dissolver. She said it worked better than the grease dissolver stuff like Greased Lightening. So we're going to try it. But so far, the lemon juice has been the best and cheapest. It's best if you don't let the stuff sit too long before you treat it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.