Skip to main content

Hi there.

I've lurked on these forums for over a year and recently purchased an SM0025 after exhaustive research. Prior to the Cookshack, I had some experience with my old Weber Smokey Mountain, but never did long cooks -- mostly ribs.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone here for the great advice. So far, I've been very happy with the smoker. My first smoke was a 10 lb pork butt that came out simply perfect. Of note, I started it at 10pm the night before I was going to serve it, starting the smoker at 200 degrees and increasing the temp to 225 in the morning. It took 18 hours to be done (int temp was 190, btw), but it was absolutely succulent! FTC'd it for 2 hours while I made my pit beans and got raves from the family.

Now, I'm going to try to tackle a brisket. I have an aged 13 lb Choice "packer" and was planning on a similar strategy: Inject/rub 4 hours prior to cook. Pop it in around 10pm at 225 for an anticipated meal at 6pm the next day.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or should I again go 200 overnight and kick up the temp in the morning? I know "it's done when it's done", but I've seen some wildly different cook times noted on these forums. Even SmokinOkie's Brisket 101 says to plan on 1.5 hours per pound, but then gives cooking times for his examples well under an hour per pound.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to have it done at least by 4pm so I have time to FTC it, and throw the burnt ends back in (along with my pit beans).

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Jerol
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First of all welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new smoker. You won't regret it. I found brisket to the most difficult to master. It took me several tries to get a good brisket. I have an Amerique, but should be similar in methods. I inject,rub and let rest for at least a couple of hours. I too set mine the night brfore at 225 for 14 hrs. I cook fat side up unless I am cooking on the bottom rack closest to the element. There is no wrong way to do any of this, it is just learn what works for you and go for it. I start to check mine at the 12hr. mark with my bamboo skewer. If it goes through like butter then it is done. If not I give it another 30-45 min. Then check until tender. I really don't pay alot of attention to the temp. of the meat as it is not a good indication of doneness.I then FTC when done for up to 6hrs. comes out tender and juicy.
Take good notes and learn from others on here. There are many different ways to do the same thing. Pick what works for you.
Enjoy Yor Adventure.
Gary
I had read (here) that cooking them fat side down was the way to go... Still fretting a bit over the time aspect, but I'm fairly certain it should be done well before meal time and I can FTC it for hours and still have a great result if necessary. I have been using the Cookshack thermometer on my smokes with verification from my Thermapen, and it has been pretty accurate.

I'll post the results (maybe some pics too, if I can figure out how).

Thanks again,

TJ
200...225*???, it's just a piece of tough meat, I doubt it would tell much difference tonite? The lower temp, might get you some extra smoke on it, but the sm025 is pretty good at laying on the smoke.

I'm with you on putting the fat down in the smokette, can't be more than a few inches from the heat source.

I've gotten to the point anymore that I like about 6hrs of rest time on my injection, but doubt that tough piece of meat knows much difference in that.

I'd say your on the right track with your cooking.
Are you going to have a competition winning brisket the first time out? Probably not. Are there going to be smiling faces at the dinner table? Most likely. I think you are on track. If you are like the rest of us, you won't be satisfied. And when you say that to your family they will look at you funny and say it was delicious. Have fun.
I actually start my brisket and pork butt the night before at 200*, then kick it up to 235 in the morning. Two reasons...smoke and starting it the night before at a decent hour and not having it finish too early the next day.

My experience with brisket is it takes less time/lb than a pork butt. My briskets average no more than 1.25 hrs/lb where the butts take roughly 1.75 hrs/lb.
Fat side up/down...

My overall take on this is the proximity of the meat to the heat source and cooking temp. If I were cooking brisket on the lower shelf (of a 025)at 250, I'd go fat side down. This prevents drying/moisture loss as the direct heat is hitting the fat vs the meat. Using a cook temp of 200-225, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference either fat up or down. At least I didn't when I smoked brisket on the Amerique...but then again, I cooked on the middle or upper racks.
Likewise. I used to cook fat side up and let the fat baste the meat. Now I cook fat side down on my SM150, always, ALWAYS at 225... Middle shelf. Put it in at bedtime on the Pork/Brisket setting (12 hours at 225) and almost ALWAYS get a lovely rendering. Remove and let rest covered in foil about an hour. then separate the flat from the tip. Rub up the tip and back into the smoker about another 90 minutes at 225 for burnt ends. I double foil and the towel the flat and I LOVE, L O V E, the way the brisket gets all "stringy". It's so perfectly tender and fall apart good...

Love using my Cookshack...

quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
Fat side up/down...

My overall take on this is the proximity of the meat to the heat source and cooking temp. If I were cooking brisket on the lower shelf (of a 025)at 250, I'd go fat side down. This prevents drying/moisture loss as the direct heat is hitting the fat vs the meat. Using a cook temp of 200-225, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference either fat up or down. At least I didn't when I smoked brisket on the Amerique...but then again, I cooked on the middle or upper racks.
Well, it turned out pretty good.

I pulled it at 190 and held it for 3.5 hours (TLC) and during that time it definitely got a little overcooked. When it came out initially, I separated the point from the flat (could basically do it with my gloved hand -- didn't need a knife, it was that tender) and it tasted amazing. The burnt ends turned out almost perfect, but as I said, the flat got a little dried out during the hold. In all, the cook took 16.5 hours (200 degrees overnight, increased to 225 in the morning). Next time, I think I will try it at 225 the entire cook and pull it a little sooner if I am anticipating a lengthy hold. I wish I could have just served it when I pulled it initially, because it was really good -- great smoky flavor from 4 oz of hickory, btw...

Thanks again for all the advice. Next I am going to try a butt and a brisket together (butts over briskets, right?)...

TJ
I did inject the flat (used Butcher's BBQ injection). Also, 193 was simply the temp at which it gave easily to skewer probing (like butter). Like I said, immediately after I took it out it was very tender (when I separated point from flat some of it got eatenWink. My thought was that maybe it was held too long, continued to cook during that hold and ended up drying out a bit. Not sure though.

TJ
I've done my share of briskets, I never brine, just apply a rub. Did them in an SM008 and now on my SM150... Straight run at 225 the whole way. You gotta take the meat to at least 195, otherwise it's gonna be dry. I KNOW that sounds weird as heck, like telling an experience cook you gotta take beef to that high a temp for it to be good sounds weird. But its true. Take it to 195, let it rest covered in foil for 1/2 hour. Separate the flat from the tip (it SHOULD just pull right apart), rerub that tip and pop it back in at 225 for another 90 minutes for yummy burnt ends goodness... Yes the brisket is probably one of the more difficult meats to master but doggone once you have that one under your belt you are a Smoking Zen God... So good.
Like the good cooks above said,195º is a good place to check for tender.Yes,if you were cooking a high prime packer,or one of those rice eatin' rascals, it might well be ready at 190º.

Back in the old days,when you cooked a whole load down under 200º for 24 hrs some of them were ready.

As to resting too long,that cow has been working all night long in the heat and a good,peaceful 3-4 hr nap can only help it.

Just my $0.02

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.