Skip to main content

Hi All,
Ok just cooked my first smoked shoulder in my 009. Turned out great! Now I know some of you are going to cringe but I cook this bad boy in a aluminum pan 11.75"x 9" with a rasied rack in it. Started this morning at 5:30am .. had smow flurries here in Chicago (Ya this is the second day of spring). I used a cookie sheet to cover the top of the unit (Nice Idea from this forum!) Ok I added a 1/4" of beer in the pan and had rubbed here down with Texas BBQ rub with worcestershire sauce last night. Used 3oz of Cherry wood in the box 225 deg setting(One full chunk and a half). Used a brand new Maverick dual probe E7. One probe in the meat and one hanging in the SM009. Nice probe but it lost the remote connection twice after 2hrs or so each time. I swapped out the AA batteries in the main unit and swappeed out one battery in the transmitter since I only had one new AAA battery. Seem to fix the problem after the third failure (Just had to go out and re-set the transmitter after it lost connection the first two times). At 152 deg and 6.5 hours into the smoke I added another 1/4" of beer and sprayed the shoulder with apple juice and covered the whole pan with tin foil. I recieved a sprayer a few years ago that you pump up and it sprays up to 15 seconds of anything you put in it (kinda nice). She hit 195 deg at almost 11 hours. Took her out and let it sit still covered in the pan for 1 hour. Pulled and ate with baked beans and cloeslaw with Masterpiece BBQ sauce on top of the Sammie. Very Nice First Smoke!! Thanks for all the advice thus far.. this forum rocks!!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How big was the shoulder ?

Did you get good smoke flavor ?

Did the shoulder have a fat cap or skin on it ?

What was the purpose of the beer ?

What was the reason for spraying the shoulder with apple juice ?

Why did you put the shoulder in a pan ?

Why did you cover the shoulder with foil ?

Thanks, I am trying to learn some things.

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by QinCT:
I like to wrap my PB in plastic wrap and aluminum foil after @5 hrs. The plastic keeps all the juice in...

I can't recommend this method without some warnings for the novice smoker.

If the smoker gets very hot, the plastic will melt and dissolve (had several people try it, then email me asking what happened to the plastic wrap). Don't know what temp exactly, but it's somewhere near 250.

You CAN do it with Restaurant Quality (not the grocery store stuff) and have a little higher temp.... 275?

I tested it a couple of times and the juices didn't stay inside the meat, but they did collect inside the plastic wrap.
Hey Wild Willie...back on topic a little bit here... These units (08s through Amerique) are so simple-easy that it 'feels' like we ought to be doing something more than we have to. I know, I've always been a great one for 'primping' with the food...a touch of this, a smattering of that, pan-brown first, high temp start, low temp finish...allllll that stuff.

But, these little guys really do put out some great product with a minimum of fuss. I've found that my obsession with 'fussing' is better spent fooling around with the side dishes.

So, put your meal together, don't worry too much about the smoked meat part, and then just take your bows as if the meat was a terrific challenge, too!

(ok, if you're really obsessive like I am...work with your sauces...axe the Masterpiece...yeah it's really good, too...but, I serve my carne with a few-dish choice of homemade sauces. That's impressive to your guests!)
Willie,in empathy with you ,we all go through much the same process.

For many of us,even a Smokette[008]is a pretty fair sized purchase,in relation to a small backyard grill that we may have owned, previously.

We probably researched it,and anguished over which model was the RIGHT one.

Some of us even aggravated the spouse, over the whole process.

The large meats,are pricey ,compared to a pack of ground beef,so we'd like to do it well.

We might even have invited friends,or family,over to see this new wonder, we have been going on about. Big Grin

We may have read everything available,to tackle the cook,and have too much info.

Now,the good cooks, that try to teach me,usually advocate the" keep it simple" approach,and let the Cookshack handle the "slow and low" process.

Like chili cooking,often, it's the things you leave out that improves the product.

The smokette won't wear out,and the cost will fade to insignificant.

The experimenting,and the good note taking we do,will turn us into good,casual,experienced cooks.

Most of us have been there,done that. Wink

Just my $0.02
I know I'm repeating what others have said but, I'd really like to suggest that you try the things in the forum and in Smokins 101's.

THEN once you know your cooker and how it performs go ahead and experiment. That way when you try things your way you will know if it is a step for the better or worse.

You just can't go wrong with these cookers.

Neil

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.