Skip to main content

I know the perils of cooking brisket flats as there are countless posts on the issue. I am planning on cooking several pork butts for the 4th. I want a small portion of brisket along with these butts. Since I do not want to cook a whole packer cut, what are my options? My local Sams has fairly large flats available (7-8 lbs) and they are covered in a substantial layer of fat. Will the butts help keep the flat moist? Should I place the flat in as I start the butts or wait a few hours? I was thinking of starting them simultaneously with the flat on the top rack (055 model) and the next 2 racks loaded with 2 butts each. Will this increase my chances for a quality flat or should I sandwich the brisket with the pork above & below it? OR should I just suck it up and cook more meat than I really need (packer cut)?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd cook a larger one, it will be cheaper per pd and you won't have the issues and what do you do when everyone eats the brisket then tells you they wanted more???

.... but

you could cook the 8lb's, but I'd put it under the butts, with the pork basting the beef to keep it moist. I do that in contests.
Like Smokin' says.

First,forget messing with the butts,as they would cook on the manifold of your truck,and be great.

The whole project-if you choose to do it correctly,is the flat.

Thus ,any experienced cook would say cook packers-but.

Read up on how to cook brisket,and plan your whole project around that,as the butts will take care of themselves.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.