Skip to main content

As soon as my warranty expires on my SM025 I going to do away with the factory controller and add a PID. I have found very few discussions in this forum about changing to a PID, and most of those conversations were about temperature control.

I am happy with the temperature control the factory controller, but I would like to finish on time or meat temperature and then go to a hold temperature automatically. This desire was driven by the fact that I had to get out of bed at 4AM yesterday because the butts I was smoking finished sooner than I expected (I would have started them later if I had known they were going to finish at 4am) put this plan back on the front burner. At any rate, I will probably just use an Auber controller that I already have.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you! I understand that... I would have been a lot closer estimating my finish time if I had been more familiar with this smoker. As for using a PID, I do like the idea of going to work, setting the finishing temperature and automatically switching to a hold temperature and not worrying about it though. In fact, my Auber will give me up to six steps. Don't know why I would ever need six steps but three steps is nice if you want to change oven temperature while you are away from the smoker.
Cooking to hold isn't a perfect as it sounds. If you're doing one item, it works. More than one and you'll have to expect some issues.

The "keep notes" works most of the time. I have the CtH feature on my FEC's but I've got my timing down and don't use it. I don't trust time or temp to tell me when it's done, it's just experience.

It's always an option some have pursued. CS has it in the high $$$ smokers for a reason, it just adds expense.

As you stated, once the warranty expires, you can go for it. There are some discussion here about it. Not a lot, but a few.
I don't disagree. I just would prefer to have a backup. I usually do smoke only one thing at a time. I like to let the smoker run when I am away from home and it gives me the comfort level of knowing that I at least will be able to go to hold when I reach a certain temperature.

This weekend I smoked two butts at the same time (not usual for me). I had my thermometer in the smaller butt thinking it would reach my desired temperature of 190 first. When I went to check it at 4AM. The little piece was 192 and the bigger piece was 194. Go figure!
hopefully you're really good at programming your PID. i've got the hold feature in my AQ, and i've found that even though the meat has reached temp and the heating elements shut down, the smoker is so well insulated that it takes quite a long time (hours) before the AQ has dropped down to 140F (hold temp). for a pork butt, that doesn't really hurt it, but i wouldn't count risk a long hold on sometime like a prime rib.

(i actively cool my AQ to hold temp by opening the door when doing prime rib)
quote:
Originally posted by Icubed:
hopefully you're really good at programming your PID. i've got the hold feature in my AQ, and i've found that even though the meat has reached temp and the heating elements shut down, the smoker is so well insulated that it takes quite a long time (hours) before the AQ has dropped down to 140F (hold temp)

That's exactly what I was thinking, that and whatcha do about briskets? I wish DeanOK well in trying to make things simple, but hey, smoking wasn't made to be a recipe and simple, it's an ART...oh well!
Well, it wasn't an issue with my old smoker. I will take that info under advisement. I know the bottom of the 025 is not insulated at all... but I have not really noticed how long it takes for it to cool down (yes, I know heat rises). I would still like to have the PID on there since I already own it. That way I have some kind or resource to try and save my smoke if I can't get back to the smoker to check it myself.
quote:
Originally posted by DeanOK:
Well, it wasn't an issue with my old smoker. I will take that info under advisement. I know the bottom of the 025 is not insulated at all... but I have not really noticed how long it takes for it to cool down (yes, I know heat rises). I would still like to have the PID on there since I already own it. That way I have some kind or resource to try and save my smoke if I can't get back to the smoker to check it myself.

I have an Auber PID I use with "my other smoker" (homemade electric, not a Bradley). I have considered making mods to my SM025 so I could use either the standard issue controls or the PID. I have a nephew with a degree and years of experience in electrical engineering so I would ask him to show me the way.

If you do make the mods to use the PID I'd like very much to know what you did and how it worked. I think it would be a great mod and Auber makes a great product with superior customer support (I have dealt with the owner everytime I contacted them).
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:
quote:
Originally posted by DeanOK:

I have an Auber PID I use with "my other smoker" (homemade electric, not a Bradley). I have considered making mods to my SM025 so I could use either the standard issue controls or the PID. I have a nephew with a degree and years of experience in electrical engineering so I would ask him to show me the way.

If you do make the mods to use the PID I'd like very much to know what you did and how it worked. I think it would be a great mod and Auber makes a great product with superior customer support (I have dealt with the owner everytime I contacted them).

The other comments suggesting the box will not cool down are legitimate concerns, but I would still like to have more automated control. I don't know how long it takes mine to cool down. I guess if you have a nephew that is a electrical engineer you could always put a servo on there to open the door (just a joke, don't take me serious) that way you would have a near Rube Goldberg machine that smokes. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.