Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sowabunga,
I have my wife, a 4 and a 5 year old and the FE is a very comfortable fit. The thins you can cook in her, the flavor, the ability to cook in cold weather, the whole thing. Don't discount an fe100 as it will feed large and small and you will find that friends and neighbors will be asking you to smoke somthing up for them...."and we'll pay you" they say. I think if you get something smaller, you'll wish you got something larger.
My .02 cents
Joe
Thanks for the input NPJ. It's just my wife and I, the kids are grown and gone, and she is not as fond of smoked food as I am. I frequently do one rack of ribs or a small butt. And, I just do not have the physical space for an FE100.

I should think there is a market, Traeger and Bradley sell small units.
I know this site is sponsored by cookshack but I will mention this anyway. If you feel that the FE100 is too big look at the Traeger units. In reality they are the originator of the pellet system BBQ. The 100 unit by Traeger might fill your need. I own a 100, two 150 units, and two 200 trailer units. I used to cater then I got smart and quit that side business. I haven't competed in a few years but probably will get a FE100 just to stay current.
Look on e-Bay for a Reliant Nomad pellet grill. Not the tailgate version but the one on legs. Quit being made about 2 years ago. Neat little pellet grill, no frills, no auger or starter. Just a fan for the fire and a paddle wheel drop system to deliver pellets. Cranks up to grilling temperature, but will hold low to smoke too. There's a few dealers still out there and they do turn up on e-Bay every now and then.

BUT...an FEC100 if it fits your budget, is a wonderful cooker. Just cook more and freeze it til you want to eat it. For comparison, the Nomad uses more pellets in an hour than the FEC100 in 2.
I've tried to find the Reliant Nomad Pellet grill on the net a couple of times, no luck.

Re: Traeger, If you do a search you will find more than a few negative comments about them. Neither Traeger nor two of their largest distributors will address the issues, they do not respond to inquiries at all.
"Re: Traeger, If you do a search you will find more than a few negative comments about them. Neither Traeger nor two of their largest distributors will address the issues, they do not respond to inquiries at all."

I don't own a Treager, but spoke to them before buying my Fe100 and they were happy to answer all the questions I had. Have you tried calling them? I think the person I spoke to was Wayne?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.