Skip to main content

I am considering buying an 008 in the very near future. I was wondering how many 7-9 pound butts will fit into an 008. Also it seems like every post on here claims the minimum time for a butt is around 18 hrs. Whenever I smoked 9 pound butts on my WSM at 250 it never took that long. I usually smoke 7-9 pounders and I find they take about 11-15 hrs at 250, going to an internal temp of 200 degrees. Could the 18 hrs everyone mentions be due to cooking at a temp of 225, instead of 250, or do they just take longer in a 008. I have never smoked using electric before.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cookshack is quite conservative in their estimates,and I believe they used to say 24 lbs of heavy meats.

If you buy for shape,do a little mashing,and a little trimming,I have gotten 30+ lbs .

Yes,if you choose to cook at 250�,it will shorten your cooktime.

As far as charcoal,gas,electric,sticks,coal,pellets,chunks,the pork just recognizes heat.

You can also set your Smokette out this month in the driveway in TN,in 20 mph winds,blowing ice and snow on it all night,and not vary fuel consumption or the temp 15 mins.

How's that work with a WSM? Smiler

Hope this helps a little.
As a side note, the more you have in the smoker the shorter the cook. I have done two butt's in my 55, approx. 16#, in 8 hrs. threw me way off but was able to do the cooler thing. Then ya gotta love the "Plateau" thing, some WAY longer than other's. How's the WSM for moist ?? Bottom line you CAN'T go wrong with a CS smoker. You just have to learn and adjust just like you did before .. Just my .002 OH !! Don't forget what Tom said about the weather .. Eeker
Taggart -- Tom is correct in saying "buy for shape." If you are using the 08/09 you will be better off buying in the range of 5# butts. You can usually get 2 per rack with shaping and triming. If you go to the 7-9 pound butts you'll find that they are often too tall to fit between the racks, especially if you are using the 5-rack system.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.