Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not a cater or chef, but I'm sure they will need more info to give you a decent guess.

What kind of crowd are you feeding...football players,kids, elders???

Are you have any other meats with this outing or what kind/many side dishes???

How big are the buns you are putting the pulled pork on???

This should help with the answers.
At the very end of this thread is a very cool spreadsheet someone created. I have used it a few times and it gives me a good idea where to start. I always tend to add one more butt or an extra rack or two, just to be safe and I always have leftovers. It's amazing how much people love your product and are thrilled to take some home if they can. Good PR move too for future requests.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...022947217#6022947217
the number of PB depends on the weight of each and they do vary widely. Generically for a diverse group as this you might consider 1.5 sandwiches per person (some will have none and some will have 2 or more; some will have larger or smaller servings as well) with an average of 4 0z (.25 lbs) per sandwich.

130 (# of people) x 1.5 (#sandwiches each) x .25 (serving size of 4 oz.) x 2 (50% shrinkage or loss during cooking) = 95 lbs of raw PB
UPDATE:

I ended up smoking 8 pork butts for this event. In the past, it took about 22-24 hours to bring the temperature up to 190F. This time I injected each of them with about 1/2-1/3 cup of mixed apple juice, white grape juice and lemon juice. Much to my surprise, they were done (190F) in less than 12 hours. Most of the injection overflowed my drip pan and ran all over my deck. UGH! Anyway, the pulled PB's turned out super moist and everyone loved them.

We only had about 70-80 people show up and I had about 1/2 of the meat left over. None went to waste however as people were more than happy to take the remainder home with them.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Great discussion here. I'm feeding 100 people pulled pork this weekend. Is the recommendation still one of these for sizing "how much"?

Approach one:
1/3 pound per person cooked (5 oz)
100 people means a need for 30 pounds cooked weight
40% shrinkage means I need 50 pounds untrimmed, uncooked weight.

Approach two:
Many folks use 2/3 lb of raw butts per person and 10% overage.
0.6 pounds * 110 people = 66 pounds uncooked

I see, however, the final answer in this case was "I ended up smoking 8 pork butts for this event. ... We only had about 70-80 people show up and I had about 1/2 of the meat left over.

So that was likely 64 pounds raw / 2 (half not used) = 32 raw weight served for 75 people or about 19.2 pounds cooked or about 4 ounces per person.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.