Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Keep in mind,how the racks look ,out at the picnic grounds,when someone is cooking a bunch of slabs,for a bunch o' folks,eatin at different times.

They keep throwin stuff in,movin' meats around,takin' some out,puttin' some in,tossin' in a couple sausages,taste testing after a cold drink.

We tend to talk on here,about artfully and gracefully displaying slabs, a certain large distance apart-where a large squirrel can run between them.

The smoke,or heat from one,should NEVER be shared by another.

Even worse,what if the juice from one could drip on another. Eeker

We would never open the door,to learn what we are actually doing-because it could add 1/2 hr to a six hour cook.

What about if we sauced them for the last hour and one touched the sauce from another-oh my, the bbq police would light their alarms.

What would happen if a couple pieces finished later than the first pieces.

Oh my,the folks that came later would have to eat freshly prepared ribs.

Yep,now I see our fascination,to do all this like a watercolor painting,we are turning in for an elementary school grade. Big Grin

Just my $0.02
Sorry'bout that,but I could load much more into it.

First off,you say "slabs",so lets qualify.

The grocery will run specials on previously frozen ,13 bone slabs, for $0.99/lb.

These could come off a 700 lb sausage sow,and could weigh 8-9-11 lbs.

Untrimmed,it could be tricky to load two slabs.

Now,St Louis trimmed slabs,from a 225-250 lb market hog could be as little as two lbs each.

Loinbacks,could be as little as 18-22 oz a slab.

I had the little smokette,and I load it up.

I ignore what touches,what.

Use racks,prop up slabs to get more,lean at angles to the grates,open door and move slabs around,as needed.

I believe CS,in their always conserative approach,estimates way low on weights.
They used to state 20-22 lbs of heavy meats in the smallest cooker.

Folks will post on here that they do 30 lbs.

Hope this helps a little.
Last edited by tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.