Skip to main content

Well I did a 72 hour cook getting ready for last tailgater, 1 butt cook and two brisket cooks. Just got around to putting the points on for burnt ends and set the control to smoke. Put in two high quality thermapen type polders in to watch inside of pit temps. The pit got up to 300 degrees smoke was rolling out (I had not cleaned it), finally the temps settled down to about 280. This is on the smoke setting. I guess I will replace the internal probe unless someone has a better idea.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Was doing burnt ends off some brisket I did on Saturday. Product turned out perfect, will be great for beans. I have an extra probe, might as well install it next week when I get back from Norman. Also have to go to Portland and will stop in Hillsboro and have the controller Dr's give me a consult.
Had a similar experience. From a cold start, set it to smoke and it went to about 270. Only weird thing was that the smoker was sitting in the direct sun on a day when it was 100 outside.

Normally my smoke setting gives me about 180 or a little less. just the first time, we'll see if it happens again.

See 'ya in Norman Duck!

Smokin'
I have had the same experience that SmokinOkie describes several times. We live in the desert and 100�+ temps are the norm. When we turn on the cooker during the day the internal is already at 135�-145�. By the time the 4 minute startup run has completed we are well on our way to 300� internal temp.

I tend to leave the door open during the initial startup run and close it once it has completed. The allows the cooker to come up to 180� instead of shooting past. The cooker is so good at recovering/holding heat that it will stay up above 280� for a long time afterwards.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.