Skip to main content

Hi everyone! I'm finally the very  proud owner of a 2009 SM025!

I started with a Weber Smokey Mountain 18", then moved to a Traeger, and now I've got the Cookshack.

Did the first cook on it this weekend, 3 pack of Costco BB ribs. After reading quite a few posts, I settled on 235 temp and a 3oz chunk of apple wood.

I'm used to using a 3-2-1 method on ribs, but this time ran them the whole time just on the rib rack, no foil.

I check on them at 3.5hrs, and when I opened the door I lost all the smoke and it never really started smoking again for the rest of the cook. At 3.5hrs I'm used to the ribs having more color than these did, but I stuck with it and trusted the process.

Took them off at 5.5hrs, and they were somehow tender and dry at the same time LOL. Hard to describe. I thought they had a great taste, but definitely not the best I've made.  I think I may go back to 3-2-1 with foil on the next cook and see if that gives a juicier result.

*EDIT: I forgot to mention that the SM025 tripped every GFI outlet I plugged it into. After finally moving it to a non-GFI outlet in the garage it worked fine. Would love to find a fix for that so I can use it in my BBQ area.

Any feedback is welcome, but I think after some more cooks and experimentation I'll be back to putting out some great meals!

Last edited by Swayze
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum.

If the smoker hasn't been used for some time. it may have some moisture in the element that can cause the GFI to trip.  After running for a while,  try the GFI again and it may not trip.

I just cook my ribs without doing anything except smoking for about 4 hours then wrapping in foil and putting some butter and brown surgar/honey mix to baste ribs until done around 5 hours total.

I do mine in my SMo66 at 225 for about 5.5 hours. I flip and rotate them at about 3 hours (quickly so as not to lose too much heat). Toothpick test and check for meat receding at the bone for doneness. I don't worry about losing smoke when I flip them since they're at or near 140F, where they won't take on any more smoke anyway. I never foil ribs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.