Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

best way to test the meat probes is to put them in boiling water and/or ice water. You can then register any variances. Kinda hard to do that with the CS oven probe; jut make sure the 732 is located at same place as the CS probe. The Maveric oven probe I have registers averages and the temp setting of the CS is right on. Not usre if the 732 oven temp checks averages or what?
I have the exact same set-up (SM025 and Maverick 732). I received the Maverick first and tested both probes in boiling water and they both came in at 213 degrees. The first time I used the Cookshack I seasoned it at 225 degrees and measured the Cookshack meat probe at 226 in a pan with the Maverick that measured 213 so I believed the Maverick thermometers (the Cookshack registered 12 degrees higher than Maverick for oven temperature as well). Since then, after smoking some chicken, PBs, Salmon, a beef roast, ribs and some more chickens - the thermometers read almost exactly the same. I thought about raising a question about it here but didn't worry about it.

At any rate, everything I have smoked has turned out awesome (I checked the first smoke (Chicken) against another thermometer and the breast turned out right on the money with the Maverick and 10 degrees higher than the Cookshack). After that, the Cookshack thermometer has settled in and is just as accurate as the Maverick when compared to he other thermometer.

Weird but true - moral of the story, maybe the Cookshack probes need a time or two to get settled in...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.