Skip to main content

I bought a basically used as in New in Box SM066. I did 2 smokes without a problem. I went out to do meat loaf today. I fired up the smoker, expecting it to go through the 30 minute start up time, and having smoke rolling when I put the meat loaf in. No smoke, and the listed high temp was 140 degrees. I think the unit is stuck in the hold mode. is there a reset button on these units, or a trick of some sort? How do it turn the timer off? I am heating up the SM 045 to finish the cook while I wait to hear of a solution.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure what you mean when you say " I bought a basically used as in New in Box SM066". Either it is used (refurbished) or new. In either case, the warranty will cover you.

There is no re-set that I am aware of. Check to ensure the cable is still connected inside the control unit.

Any chance that the internal probe was touching your meatloaf?

The first time I did a butt, I was frustrated with using the probe and cooking to internal temp. I forgot the cook temp. Simple error on my part.

Call CS and explain the problem.
Mike, I don't know about the "stuck on hold" problem, but I do know that if you attach the probe, the timer function will go off, it assumes you want to cook by temp instead of time. I don't think there is an external "reset" but maybe Bill at CS can guide you to some sort of reset operation on the controller. Hope this helps.
Old Sarge: I bought it from a relative that bought it New and never took it out of the box. The box was totally undamaged. The Warrantee is for the original owner, and runs from date of original purchase. I am not running the temp. probe. The last time I used the smoker it hit the set temp, and went into hold mode at 140 degrees. Now I can't get the timer to turn off, and even though it is in the start up mode, the time puts it back into the hold mode. I can't or don't know how to turn the timer off.
Hey it's Thursday, call Cookshack now, you will be flat amazed how nice they are. I've had small issues with two used units (an SM008 and my current beast an SM150) and they're sweet as pie about helping. You're gonna feel like a) they really give a damn about you, and b) they're gonna help you solve your problem. Period.
I worked for IBM most of my life and their motto was IBM MEANS SERVICE. Well Cookshack could take IBM to Servie College with their customer service attitude... Bill's a great guy...
Thanks for the replies. I finally figured things out about 2am. It was operator error. I didn't want any time on the clock because I wasn't doing a timed cook, and wasn't using the Cookshack temp. probe. Made sense to me to program it that way. Why is it that the light comes on in the wee hours of the morning. I fired it this afternoon and set the clock for 24 hours. The smoker works fine. The idiot running the smoker is just a little slow. I did call customer service, just to make sure. They assured me that was the way this smoker works. Problem solved.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.