Skip to main content

Can someone help with a CLEAR definition of this? There are so many different terms people use for briskets and their different variations.

What I've read is this
Beef Brisket, Deckle-Off, Boneless, IMPS/NAMP 120
The deckle (fat and lean between the bone and the main muscle) is removed from the brisket at the natural seam. The lean surface below the deckle is closely trimmed.
Beef Brisket, Flat Cut, Boneless, IMPS/NAMP 120A
This is the deep pectoral muscle from a boneless brisket. The item is no less than 1/2 inch thick at any point and all surfaces are trimmed practically free of fat.

So what I normally buy from my butcher (maybe I'll ask him next time too) is what I consider a 'full brisket' with the deckle on is that not a 120? I consider a 'flat' to be without the deckle/point. So is a 'flat' that you buy a 120 or a 120A?

I'm going to do the oklahoma joe brisket world open brisket but if I have to cook just a flat I'm not gonna like it.

Thanks!
Josh
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well,I'm no expert,but you sure could confuse the heck outa me.

I'm not sure most "butchers" would know a packer from a bag of chicken wings.

Seems like I saw a chart from Sysco,or somebody,that said a whole packer was a 120,the flat[sorta flat,rectangular,lean piece] was a 120A,and the point[the triangular,fatty,irregular piece that lays kinda crossways to the flat] was a 120B.

Not real important,'cause I never met anyone that knew ,or asked. Roll Eyes

That was a buncha years back.

Now,if the meat supplier don't know what a whole untrimmed packer in cryovac is,I'd move on down the line -'til I found one that knew his right from his left shoe.

It ain't exactly rocket science.

Not sure just what a"Oklahoma Joe brisket world open brisket" would be,but can't picture no self respectin' Okie would be caught cookin' nothin' but a packer.

Hope this helps a little ,until one of them brisket numberin' experts chimes in.
Yeah, I'm with Tom. If I went to ANY butcher in Oklahoma, they wouldn't know what a NAMP was... LOL. They used to, but anymore, they just cut down meat that comes in a cryovac with a name on.

How do I know? I've asked most of them (but not all, so I'll ask some more).

A 120 is what we call a packer brisket around here, or just a whole brisket. A 120 just means that it's a whole brisket with the "attachment" trimmed off.

A 120A is a flat
A 120B is the point

The easy answer is weight. If you're buying anything under 5lb, it's a flat only. 5 to 9 could be a large flat or a closely trimmed packer (trimmed point) and over 9 will be a full brisket

Oh and a 119 is with deckle on.

Check out this link for details on Bovine info:

Bovine info

It's definition of deckle:
quote:
Deckle - the coarse strip of lean and fat located between the rib bones and deep pectoral
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Gil:
Quiz answer - just another name for the point.

Technically. No. Technically the deckle is the meat that goes from the brisket to attach it to the carcass. We've come to think of the point as the deckle, but when I've talked to a butcher, their answer depends on when they were trained.

I've had more than a few butchers over the year explain the issue (just put something out there like Brisket 101 and see how many point out issues/erros)... LOL

For me, though, I'm with you. For the common folks, it's the same.

That's why I call it the point (and will when I update Brisket 101)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.