Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

cal,

You're banned for a week. Red Face

How could you send him to VWB and not to

Brisket 101

Apple, Brisket is a tough one to start with, if you're comfortable with the smoker, then read up the info we've posted and go for it.

There's a ton of good reading in this brisket forum, so have a read and ask us anything specific you need help with.

Russ
Opps,my BAD!!! I really didn't think Brisket 101 was important,ya' know? It is "only" on the opening page.

Then again,my wife always points out that my thinking isn't my strongest attribute,oh well, whatever she means by that?

Heck my 1st packer, I only touched up the lean side of the flat and left all the fat cap alone. It worked out okay.
One other VERY important point about going to Smokin's 101 s is they are specific to cooking on Cookshacks,although the general info is excellent for preps overall.

Like Smokin' mentions,although the traditional Cookshacks were designed a half century ago as brisket cookers,the overall topic has a bunch of fun stuff to learn and apply.
I've had my smoker for ~year now and highly recommend reading Brisket 101. As for the rub, try the one cookshack sent with your smoker or if you have one that you already use, by all means use that (be generous). IMO, definitely start out with a full packer (ie. both the flat and point together) and look for one with as thick a flat as possible. Myself, I leave all of the fat on the brisket and cook it fat side down. Have fun.
Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Appleass:
Wht rub do I use from cookshack and do I trim any ofthe fat off. Want to try this this weekend.

Taste the Cookshack Brisket rub. Many folks use it with success. You can always doctor it a bit to suit your taste buds.

Are you smoking a flat or a packer? Flats don't need much trimming. You want at least 1/4" of top fat left on.

For sure...give Smokin's 101 a read.
Well I am getting some good advice and I appreicate it. I had to look but yes I have some cookshack Brisket Rub and I have studied Brisket 101 as well as other sites. I am going Saturday to Costco to see about a Brisket. Don't know what to expect don't have a clue what it should taste like all I know is I want to give it a try. When I firsy got my smoker my wife gave me the teacher look (scary) and said in a disapproving voice it was how much and the two grills you have are not enough.
My first smoke was a pork butt, never done that before and my wife and daugther loved it in fact my wife has decide I am making this for the church choir picnic. So why not challenge myself with a Brisket. So depending on the weather for Saturday I may give it a try.
quote:
Originally posted by Appleass:
So why not challenge myself with a Brisket.

Briskets really aren't all that mysterious. Start with a Choice Packer...they're more forgiving than Flats due to the higher fat content. Look for a Packer with the thickest (Flat) end, and look for intramuscular fat mingling with the meat grain on the bottom side.

You might start with a very basic baseline of salt and pepper and a smoke temp of 225 - 250. Insert a probe therm. into the flat (middle center) and at 190 start testing for doneness. When the probe slides in and out with relative ease, you're good to go. Rest the meat in foil for 20-30 minutes and have at it.

Once your happy with the results (always keep notes) you have many other options to consider....rubs, injections, the dreaded slathers Smiler, foiling, wood options, etc. I'd suggest you build out your experiments slowly...don't add or subtract too much at one time. That way you can analyze what worked, or didn't.

As for the wife factor, I got the same scary glare one time when I added a 3rd cooker to the back deck...quickly followed by, "How many BBQ toys do you need out there?" My reply, "how many pairs of black shoes do you need in your closet." We shook hand and called it draw Smiler
As to "briskets not being that mysterious",I can describe how an 18 yr old can go to town,select a potential spouse from whatever the existing stock is ,wrap him/her up,take 'em home and "start prep and cookin'".

Now,we all can guess what the lifetime ,perfect marriage probability might be from this first trip to town.

I have been known to miss a state qualifier in briskets,or that lifetime keeper in spouses. Confused

As Smokin'would say,practice a lot and take good notes. Big Grin
I have to agree with MaxQue, they really aren't so mysterious. Just got done with my fifth packer, almost 18 lb's before I trimmed it up. Basic rub, brown sugar, pepper, salt, garlic powder. About 14 Hr's to reach it's time in the smoker. Pulled it when my prob went in like butter. With a dish of cheesy potato's it was delicious. Just do it!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.