Skip to main content

I saved up my pennies and was finally going to get my 025. I strolled into the nearest dealer, Goodwood Hardware in Baton Rouge, with my mouth watering just thinking about what i was going to be eating the next day. Much to my dismay, they advised me they were no longer carrying the Cookshack line. NOOOOOOOOO!!! Note to website manager: take them off the list.

So, I had to order it and my new little friend won't be shipped until March 8th. Now I sit in agony, drooling for some wonderful Q, but I know the wait will be well worth it. It does give me more time to research on the forums so the first cooking will be good.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

She came in on Friday and was in the process of seasoning within 2 hours of arriving.

Rubbed a 4.5 pound butt with CS Ribrub at 1400 on Saturday, and put it in the smoker at 2300 with 3 ounces of hickory at 200 degrees. At 0900 Sunday, I moved the temp to 225 and up to 250 at 1200 (the probe temp had plateaued for several hours and I was worrying that it wouldn't make dinner.) 1500 internal temp reached 195 so I FTC'ed with 1/2 cup of apple juice. Pulled and served at 1830 and it was tremendous. (I almost filled up just snacking on the bark.) Even my kids loved it (picky eaters).

Thanks to all for giving me plenty of advice for a good starting point.
Baker,

Congrats on the first smoke being a success with the whole family. I'm sure you will find yourself walking by the meat counter every time you enter a store looking at the meat prices and figuring out what to smoke next. The fun just never ends and even when everything doesn't come out right, it almost always produce good eating.

Jer
JerinVA:

It seems that already happened. I went into my favorite meat gettin' store yesterday, and when I got home there was a brisket in with my groceries.

I guess I'll be forced to take care of it this weekend. I think I'll just do a rub and smoke for the first try. Later on, I'll try that "Incredible Brisket Recipe" posted by onesharpbroadhead on the brisket forum.

MB

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.