Skip to main content

This is my secound smoke and I'm making pastrami. I use a sm070 which is the UK version of the sm066. Very new to smoking so apologies for my lack of knowledge! I'm doing a 10hour cook on 230F using the probe to reach internally 200F. So I had to open 7 and a half hours into my 10hour cook to remove from foil so it would crust well. So I realise the temp would drop and also the probe temp of the meat. But it is now back on a back to its cook temp of 230F but for the last hour the internal temp of the meat has slowly been dropping rather then rising? Any advise would be greatly appreciated am I doing something wrong? I know it's silly to open a cookshack but wanted to do half in foil half not just to get the perfect pastrami.

Any advise would be great,

Thanks louis.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ah yes I have heard about the stall. I guess what's weird is because I had essentially got up to 185F then decided to take out of foil to give it a crust. But as we speak it is rising back up slowly. I think I am going to smoke to 190F then take it out because would have been 12ish hours by then. I think I should of taken it out of foil earlier maybe not sure.

Thanks very much though for your comment!

Regards
My old rules of thumb for Cookshack brisket:
Base time/temp: 225°F for 1 hour per pound. Assuming you never open the door and do not wrap.
(So 12 hours for 12 pound brisket)

Each time you open door, add 30 minutes.

Wrapping (tightly) will speed up cooking. Take 20 minutes off of total cooking time for each hour it is wrapped at 225.
So 12 lbs @ 225 - if you wrap after 6 hours and only open door once - would target 10.5 hours.

If you need to increase temperature for scheduling - do it after you wrap. More bang for your buck.

Actual measured internal temp is the true test of doneness.

Target your done time AT LEAST 2 hours before serving. Brisket is better rested for 2 or more hours before serving - especially if wrapped. Just keep warm in ice chest, oven, or Cambro
Nice one, going to give this method a try tomorrow without foil see how it comes out. You say you steam it straight away? i usually steam after smoking too but the majoirty is left in the fridge for another day (if I have 2 chunks of meat or 2 briskets). This method wouldn't effect it being able to be kept in the fridge for longer?

Thanks again for your advise!
I have steamed the pastrami right out of the smoker, but usually I refrigerate it overnight or even two days before steaming, mostly just for convenience. It doesn't seem to affect taste or texture. I love hot pastrami sandwiches, or a reuben-style with sauerkraut. I have found that if you try to steam a pastrami a second time to restore the juiciness and texture, it doesn't work well, just dries it out too much.
Hi there, have done a few smokes since I last commented on the forum. I now smoke my brisket till 165 takes about 6hr 30. Which is great and Im happy with results.
Had a bit of a weird event though just a moment ago. I just put on a new brisket to smoke. Again at 225 set probe to cook till 165. Within 10minutes there was a very loud noise and a massive puff of smoke exiting the smoker really quickly. But sounded like a banging on the door so was a worry. Ended up Turing off the smoker to check and see if I was doing something wrong or there had been a malfunction. Looked fine so started the smoke again. 1hr 45mins later the probe had hit 165! (Expected it to take longer with the door opening). So quite confused how my brisket had taken under 2 hours to cook. I turned it off and checked with a Different probe and it reads the same temp. Can anyone explain what may of gone wrong? I'm really confused and the brisket clearly hasn't been cooked properly (especially not on the outside). The only things I did different was I used oak pellets rather then the applewood I had been using before. Other than that and opening the door after that loud noise I have done nothing different. Can anyone help Me? Would really appreciate someone's veiw. Thanks for reading. Louis
quote:
Originally posted by Louisprose:
Hi there, have done a few smokes since I last commented on the forum. I now smoke my brisket till 165 takes about 6hr 30. Which is great and Im happy with results.
Had a bit of a weird event though just a moment ago. I just put on a new brisket to smoke. Again at 225 set probe to cook till 165. Within 10minutes there was a very loud noise and a massive puff of smoke exiting the smoker really quickly. But sounded like a banging on the door so was a worry. Ended up Turing off the smoker to check and see if I was doing something wrong or there had been a malfunction. Looked fine so started the smoke again. 1hr 45mins later the probe had hit 165! (Expected it to take longer with the door opening). So quite confused how my brisket had taken under 2 hours to cook. I turned it off and checked with a Different probe and it reads the same temp. Can anyone explain what may of gone wrong? I'm really confused and the brisket clearly hasn't been cooked properly (especially not on the outside). The only things I did different was I used oak pellets rather then the applewood I had been using before. Other than that and opening the door after that loud noise I have done nothing different. Can anyone help Me? Would really appreciate someone's veiw. Thanks for reading. Louis

I'll try and help with the understanding of what you experienced. It takes a person a little while to understand or get accustomed to any new smoker....

You experienced the Bang, just click on this and read about it.

2nd part of your question, these smokers are made with a warmup cycle that will run on high for the first 30 minutes. When you shut yours off and turned it back on, you restarted this cycle. This prolly caused you to cook for an hour at about 325*, that will speed up any cook, just my opinion!
Yep, had it happen with my AQ about the third or fourth smoke. Got my attention real fast. No negative consequences and it hasn't happened again (that I heard Smiler) Someone early on on the blog thread posted by Cal opined about flammable gasses released from the wood (and/or bark) below the flash temperature, which then ignite. That sounds a reasonable explanation to me - since the electrics apparently tend to heat up fast. I don't suppose anyone wants to do an exhaustive study regarding types of wood, moisture, chemical content of the gases, outside temperature, temp setting on the smoker, etc...? Nope, didn't think so! Just anticipate it and use it to shock your friends when possible. Your calm face and shrug should be priceless.
google:
DUST EXPLOSION on Wikipedia & then watch SAWDUST CANNON on YouTube. You'll have a good idea of what's going on. Woodworkers are familiar with the phenomenon and try to counter it with ventilation/exhaust, and collection systems. They have to be well grounded because one spark even from static electricity and your shop becomes the Hindenburg!
Last edited by joem

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.