Skip to main content

With Christmas right around the corner, I thought I'd do a practice run on a prime rib, since that's what I committed to cooking for our friends. Now, I know what some are saying - that's an expensive hunk of beef to practice on. The way I see it, I get 2 awesome meals in December.

OK, enough of the small talk Wink

I purchased a 2 bone-in 4.5 pound USDA Choice PR from Costco for about $35 (not a bad price IMHO).

Here's how I prepared the meat:
I first cut off the bones and then retied them to the roast with butcher twine. I then cut deep slits into the roast, opposite the bones, and stuffed those with some compound roasted garlic-herb butter. I found the butter recipe in the Big Bob Gibson BBQ Book (get this book for Christmas if you don't have it).
I slathered the roast with a light coating of Worcestershire sauce, and seasoned all sides with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
I placed the cold roast (about 44F) in my pre-warmed smoker (it was about 170F at the time) and then added my smoker box containing 1 oz each of pecan and cherry and 1 sprig of rosemary.
The roast was cooked at 250F until internal temp of roast reached 130F (we like our meat med rare), which took 3 hours.
I removed the roast from the smoker, placed on cutting board, and covered with foil for 15 minutes before carving.

Results: Great smokey flavor, perfect doneness, juicy and very tender, flavorful meat. Everyone raved about it.

We served it with Rosemary potatoes au gratin, salad, and simple au jus. I can post au jus recipe on a separate thread if anyone cares to know.

Can't wait until Christmas!! Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great post! Thanks! I got my SM045 a week ago and one of my first projects was an 8.5# prime rib roast for a family get together. I followed your instructions to the letter. I even bought the Bob Gibson BBQ book for the garlic butter receipe. WOW! Everyone loved it. Thanks again for sharing your practice run and pictures.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.