Skip to main content

Hey everyone! Like Zeb I am new to the business. Have been in the seafood game for over 20 years, but decided to strike out on my own. A little scary!! I opened a seafood market in June of 2003. At first I was having the butcher shop next door to my store smoke all my fish, but I really was not too impressed with the quality of the end product. I stopped doing that, and started buying pre-smoked products from my fish suppliers. Ouch!! The product is very expensive. Plus, this gave me no outlet for product that was getting a little old. I am very quality oriented, so I only sell extremely fresh product. I found I was thowing away alot of money. I bought a CS 160 about three months ago. I am still playing with it every week. I have learned alot on my own through trial and error, but I still am not sure if I'm doing things right.
I have a few questions that I need answered. First, what, if any, are the advantages of wet brining. Second, if I do need to wet brine, how long is long enough. I'll see one article say 15 minutes per LB., for example, and another article say 1 hour per LB. That's a huge difference! At what point does the brining process stop? Or does it? Thirdly, I find that as I add more product to the smoker, the results are'nt as good. Is there any way to determine the optimum time/temp for different size loads? I know I have asked a lot of questions, but I need to get some advise from someone with much more experience than I have.
I do like my smoker, but I bought it to help me make money!! Any words of wisdom out there?

RGS,

Afishionado
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Afishionado. hi did the same as you bought a 260 to value add the fish i catch. reading the spin on their web site i thought all i had to do was put it in set the temp and take it out when the alarm goes. how wrong i was. the best book i found was home book of smoke-cooking meat fish & game by jack sleight & raymond hull. also go to http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm they seemed to know fish alot better than most.i find with the forum most people talk about meat smoking.i think if you follow 3 men you can't go wrong.I am still working it out i think i have the brine work out. eddie
afishianado, I think you need to look at the archives under brining. There is a lady in Alaska, named Andi, I've only had a chance to read through some of the threads. BUT SHE DEFINITELY SEEMS TO BE THE PRO when it comes to brining fish, smoking fish, and especially anything to do with salmon.

Maybe you could post to her for help if you don't find what you're looking for.

Taiwan Willy
Sorry I can't offer much help on smoking fish. Andi's posts are very informative and there are many others that I have seen as well but most are geared to home cooking not batch smoking. Perhaps if you could tell us what specific problems you are having i.e. oversmoked, undersmoked, bad color, wrong texture we could point you in the right direction.

Mark

P.S. You will not be able to post to Andi. Please don't ask why. It's a long story. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.