Skip to main content

I am planning on purchasing a SM009. I have done a lot of beer can chickens on my Charcoal Char Broil Wood smoker and would like to know how many chickens I could realistic do in a SM009 at one time. I normally do 2 chickens at one time as close to 5lbs that I can buy. I have heard that with the heat being more at the bottom it would be the hotter area especially if I used to racks and stacked the chicken. Since I don't currently have a SM009 I am at a loss on what would work. I also am planning on buying a temperature probe the kind that you stick in the meat and read from outside the smoker. Where should I run the ribbon from the chicken to the outside? When I use the Charcoal smoker I cook until it reads 180 degrees thighs and breast and have not had any problems with any parts being raw. I also cook with the skin on but I don't eat the skin to help keep my blood fat under control. Also what about the fat dripping off the chicken should I put a pan under the chicken to catch the fat drippings like I do in the charcoal cooker or...

I know this is probably a lot of dumb questions but I am new to this kind of smoker and am hoping some of you experts can help me.

Your help will be appreciated.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The only dump question is the one not asked.

I have an 008, never attempted a beer can chicken but have smoked 4 each 4-5 lb chicken with very good success. I place two chickens on the bottom and 2 on the center rack use 4 oz of hickory and somke for 5 to 6 hours or until the thigh reaches 185 degrees. I inject the chickens approximately 24 hours or more prior to smoking. I also use a dry rub. All four chickens are completely cooked and extremely moist. I do not open until temp is met. Have fun.
Ron
I think that you should be able to do 2 beer can chickens side by side. Because of the height you will need to take out the top rack and cook them on the middle of bottom rack. I usually do 1 at a time in my 008 mainly because it is just my wife and myself or sometimes one of my kids home from school.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.