Skip to main content

Ok, new owner smoking a Brisket. First time using my Cookshack. Smoked brisket for 9 hours with no problems. Cookshack was very impressive with it holding temperature near the set 225 degrees the entire time. I was so happy with the temperature control. And then..... 9 hours in, nearing the end of the process and with meat probe reading 193 degrees I had to wheel the smoker into my shop because the wind was picking up and I was worried it might start raining on the smoker. It was reading 226 degrees. The inside temperature of my shop was not much different then the 73 degrees outside, and it was wheeled just inside my huge roll-up door. I came back 10 minutes later and it was 300 degrees! I checked the thermostat setting and it was still set at 225 degrees.
I opened the door and pulled the brisket (it was 195 degrees). The smoker cooled to around 170 during that process. I closed the door and left it on just to see what happend. I came back 10 minutes later and again it was at 300 degrees.
Why did it not continue to hold the 225 degrees it was set at? Is the heating element on when the little red light by the numbers is lit up? Is that the heating element indicator?
I could see how it might have ran away the first time moving a warm smoker inside (but not actually much of an ambient temp. change), but not after I had opened the door and cooled it down. Any ideas would be very helpful to this new owner! Bad controller?
Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Make sure that you keep everything away from the thermostat. When you look in the smoker you will see it sticking out of the back wall. Don't ask how I know, but if it gets buried in a brisket, the smoker reads the temps in the brisket, and not the temps in the smoker. Welcome to the forum. Just one more suggestion. Do a search for "big bang". It is just another thing that might happen to a new Cookshack owner,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.