Skip to main content

New FEC100 should be "Inhand" tomorrow morning so I'm planning on the recommended 4-6 hr @ 200* seasoning. I bought 2 butts last night in a "twin pack" with a total of about 18lbs. I've read concerning the fat cap "trim" and "don't trim" it. I've also read some fat in the smoker during seasoning is good. Question then is if I trim the fat cap, put it in an aluminumn pan and place in smoker during seasoning is this a good plan? Also, do you foil everything before the seasoning or wait until after? Does the fat in the pan make a difference on this?
Sorry for the long post, just too much time to think???????
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Russ,

I say make it as simple as possible. I will trim off any loose pieces, little tough pieces on the opposite side from the fat cap and possibly the gland if one can be found. Otherwise, I just apply the rub and let it run.

Made a case of butts just that way two weeks ago for charity gig. Dr BBQ and Tom pulled them and said they were especially good. Wanted to know what I had done. I left that to their speculation! Wink

And to boot, it was cooked on a brand new FEC than was delivered to my place for Dr BBQ with no seasoning. Take what you want from that.
Yep,we foil the floor and poke a drain hole,foil the deflector,foil the 1 inch wide portion that the grease deflector drains into.

You might put a full Al foil pan in the underneath drain pan,so you don't have to clean it.

Can't figure out what you would be doing with a foil pan in the FEC. Confused

Spray your racks with the new Pro version of Pam,if you have it.

We'll wave to ya, on our way into NOLA in a few hours.

Tom-Fl

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.