Skip to main content

Supposed to arrive on the 26th Smiler

The bill of lading is showing 215lbs and the truck requires a liftgate to deliver. That begs the question. Will I be able to assemble the stand and smoker myself? To be honest I was expecting a total weight closer to 150lbs (smoker less than a 100, stand around 50). What is making up all this weight? packing material? Is it on a pallet or loose boxes?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As for assembly, you might consider attaching the smoker to the stand while they're nicely padded and aligned horizontally on their backs, then upright the completed assembly as a whole. That's what I did with my AQ, stand, and the 3" standoffs between.

Other than your own lifting ability, the only other thing I'd suggest is have a helper (or some kind of chocks) keep the casters from starting to roll as you get the unit past about halfway up.
Considering the custom foam inserts, sturdy boxes, oversized pallet, and strapping that CS used to pack mine, I'd say your biggest concerns are more likely to be whether the fork lift operator keeps the forks out of the packaging and the pallet remains intact.

It's not like the package handlers can toss these around to load and unload a trailer, so probably not really much to worry about--except, of course, exactly when that delivery truck will pull up to your curb and whether there'll be enough time left in the day to assemble and begin seasoning . . .
I agree Smoke Eater, not much worry about them tossing the smoker around, heck these things are made like a tank anyway.

Okay Jim, time for the check list.....

1...6 pack of beer, it will only take 2 for the installation, but hey a feller will need a few as you sit and watch the smoker season. Don't pay attention to the over shoot, because of the warm up mode.

2...You may want to use a nonGFI outlet for the seasoning. Sometimes there is a little moisture in the smoker that the first smoke will dry out.

3...No don't worry if there's not a bunch of smoke bellowing out of the top hole. We all like the clear blue smoke, besides when you have a hunk of meat in, it will smoke more.

4...Pay no attention to the times in that cook book, heck now would be a good time to discard the manual...we all use the forum if anything is needed.

5...NEVER tell anyone how easy it has been to season the smoker, or how easy it is to tend fire. We can't let our wifes found out this important trade secret.

6...Life will never be the same and you'll see everything a little different at the meat market, guaranteed. You have bought meat???

Most important have FUN with your lifetime purchase and welcome to the family!!!
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
I agree Smoke Eater, not much worry about them tossing the smoker around, heck these things are made like a tank anyway.

4...Pay no attention to the times in that cook book, heck now would be a good time to discard the manual...we all use the forum if anything is needed.

6...Life will never be the same and you'll see everything a little different at the meat market, guaranteed. You have bought meat???

Remember when my SM020 showed up. Got home from work and there was this pile of mangled cardboard sitting on my front porch. Got it inside and lo and behold, a perfectly good smoker was in the middle of that mess.

4) It came with a cookbook??? Oh yea, I vaguely recall seeing one.

6). Yep, I used to "BBQ" a steak or two, maybe a couple chicken breasts. Now it's not uncommon to have 10lb pork butts or 12lb briskets in my fridge.

ENJOY!!!!
FedEx delivered this morning. No visible damage but the cart box had a rip in the side. Opened the box and found no damage to the cart. Didn't have time to do more today. My goal is to have it assembled and ready to smoke by this weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by cal:

Okay Jim, time for the check list.....

1...6 pack of beer, it will only take 2 for the installation, but hey a feller will need a few as you sit and watch the smoker season. Don't pay attention to the over shoot, because of the warm up mode.

CHECK

2...You may want to use a nonGFI outlet for the seasoning. Sometimes there is a little moisture in the smoker that the first smoke will dry out.

CHECK. Read that. Have extension cord ready.

3...No don't worry if there's not a bunch of smoke bellowing out of the top hole. We all like the clear blue smoke, besides when you have a hunk of meat in, it will smoke more.

CHECK. Read that. Will put a piece of hickory in when I season it. I also need to calibrate my Maverick 732 and test it too.

CHECK

5...NEVER tell anyone how easy it has been to season the smoker, or how easy it is to tend fire. We can't let our wifes found out this important trade secret.

This will be a challenge. My 14 y/o son is as excited about this smoker as I am. Wife, however is just happy I found a hobby that might actually benefit her.

Purchasing a PB from the butcher on Friday. Did you know Sams Club and Costco do not show selling PBs online? :>Wink

Most important have FUN with your lifetime purchase and welcome to the family!!!

Thank you. With all the help and advice I have gotten from this forum from all of you, I hope down the road I can return the favor to the next newbie that comes along.
quote:
Originally posted by JerinVA:
Costco does sell PBs but they are boneless and come two to a package. I have heard various comments on the quality of the PB after having the bone cut out. Guess it depends on the experience of the meat department as to their deboning capability. Jer

I know they do. I just found it interesting they do not show selling it on their website. I think they only show stuff on their website that they can ship.
quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Michigan:

This will be a challenge. My 14 y/o son is as excited about this smoker as I am. Wife, however is just happy I found a hobby that might actually benefit her.

Jim, never forget #5 it is the most important thing on your checklist.
If you try to tell anyone how easy it is to use your new smoker before they try anything you smoke they will think you are crazy and anything you “claim to have smoked” will not be worth eating.
If you try to tell anyone how easy it is to use your new smoker after they try something you smoked they will think you are trying keep your recipes and methods secret.

You can use the extra time bonding with your son and teaching him about the burdens we must bear.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.