Skip to main content

So I smoked the first brisket in the new Smokette last night. It's resting now and I'm pretty anxious.

I ran two temp probes, the one on the oven and one I keep for just this sort of thing, and I noted that they were only about 4 degrees apart. Not a big deal.

I have read about this "stall" at 150 degrees where the meat temp doesn't rise for a long time, sometimes several hours. I didn't see any sign of this at the meat temp rolled right past the 150 mark. Any ideas on this "stall"? Is it a characteristic of other types of equipment that may not apply here?

I also noted that the 025's temp probe never showed meat temp over 199 even though the alternate temp probe showed 204 for the last couple of hours. I then read on a forum somewhere that the 025 won't read above 199. I wanted to ask if this is in fact the case. It's not a big deal. The hole in the top is large enough for more than one cable.

Lastly, I wanted to ask about target temps. I have read and heard brisket finish temps from 190 to 205 and times from 1 hour to 1.25 hours per pound. This first one I went with the 1.25 hours/pound on a 15 pounder. It looks and smells pretty darn good. I think I'll cut that sucker up.

Thanks,
-TC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The stall or plateau usually happens in the 160-175 range and will happen on briskets and butts when the collegen is breaking down. Perhaps you missed it or maybe there wasn't that much fat in your brisket. (you didn't mention whether it was a packer or just a flat) The plateau is a factor of the meat, not the equipment.

I don't have an 025 so I can't answer your probe question.

The target temp for slicing a brisket should be around 185-190 but 195 is typical for the most tender and moist brisket. Learn about the 'toothpick test' to determine when it is done. And as someone once said: "it's done when it's done" but we try not to mention him around here... (pssst his initials are 'Smokin Okie')
Thanks for your reply.

This first brisket was a packer and, while it turn out OK, it was clearly overcooked, even crispy on the bottom.

I learned some important lessons on this first one. I'm going to take your advise and back off the completion temp as well as both the cooking time and cooking temp.

I also learned I need to apply more rub and give the rub more of a chance to go get into the meat before cooking.

Thanks again,
-TC
quote:
Originally posted by TC Harp:
This first brisket was a packer and, while it turn out OK, it was clearly overcooked, even crispy on the bottom.

What were the signs that makes you think the brisket was overcooked?

I've never had much luck cooking to a set temp, but do know there are some fine cooks that do it, but they have much more experience than I.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:

What were the signs that makes you think the brisket was overcooked?

I've never had much luck cooking to a set temp, but do know there are some fine cooks that do it, but they have much more experience than I.

It was pretty dry and had an 8th of an inch of pretty crispy meat on the underside. I won't cook to 205 again. Nor will I cook a 15 pounder for 18.75 hours.

I knew this thing had hit 205 5 hours before I pulled it. 1.25 hours/pound at 225 was just too much cooking. The cook time and target temp won't be the same on the next packer.

-TC
If it cooked at more than 200* for 5 hrs, you overcooked it. It happens. Next time, when the meat hits 192*, start testing with a temp probe. If the probe slides into the meat easily, the meat is ready. If not, smoke for 30 minutes more and retest. First the temp, then the probe will tell you when to pull the brisket. You're next one will be significantly better...cookwise.
Pags is right
When you first get that gratifiying sensation of your probe going thru the meat everywhere like the meat is melted butter you'll know. And in the future that is what you look (feel) for that sensation you're poking into a stick of very soft butter that offers no resistance going in or coming out. Took me a few tries but whoooo weeeee I sure love it.
I would never doubt another cook, but I know for a fact that I can cook a 15 lb brisket at 225*, without foil, and it just won't be at 205* in 13.75 hrs, just sayin'.

If your brisket didn't crumble on you when you were slicing it, I doubt it was over cooked.

Some cooks think a under cooked brisket can be dry also and then some briskets will just be dry because of their lack of internal fat.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
I can cook a 15 lb brisket at 225*, without foil, and it just won't be at 205* in 13.75 hrs, just sayin'.

If your brisket didn't crumble on you when you were slicing it, I doubt it was over cooked.

I did not have a separate oven temp thermometer so I can only go by what the 025 showed as it's oven temp. It may have been hotter than 225. I will check this out next time. I'm hoping that my new oven's equipment is functioning as advertised.

My separate meat temp probe, not the oven's meat probe, was reading the meat temp at 204 at 8am, after only 12 hours of cooking. The 025 meat probe was reading 199, which I understand is it's limit.

This was a pretty fatty, USDA Choice brisket. It did, in fact, crumble upon slicing. It was still pretty good. Oddly, it was better after a day in the refrigerator even though I let it rest for 2.5 hours before slicing.

I didn't mean to infer that it was inedible, only that I'm pretty sure this equipment and I can produce a better product. I think I will cook the next one with the fat side down too.

Thanks for your input,

-TC
Your welcome, some thoughts to share....

If your brisket was on the bottom shelf and the shelves are hooked from the smoker in the slots that allow the brisket to be under the internal probe, you was probably cooking at a higher temp because of the brisket shielding the internal temp probe/sensor from heat.

When cooking brisket on my 020(which is the same as your 025 but without the probe). I like to make sure the brisket is above the internal temp probe and yes, I'll cook with the fat cap down.

Learn to cook to feel and not to time/temps. It takes a few times to learn, but you'll become a better brisket cook.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.