Skip to main content

OK, tried a $200 smoker from Home Depot and loved the smoked meat but less than a year later the firebox door is rusted shut and bent, the drip pan sometimes works and it is a lot of work maintaining temp, smoke, etc. been reading this forum and others and am convinced that CS is the way to go. what i would really like is the AmeriQue but the wife went ballistic on the price. so it looks like i "may" get a smokette for father's day. should i really try hard to convince her to let me get the SM025? is the only difference between it and the amerique the capacity, larger heating element, and temp hold capability? Don't suppose someone in the northeast wants to upgrade and has one (any one) for sale?

thanks, this forum is great and just what i have been looking for.

ken
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I started out with a Smokette several years ago and loved it. The only problem I have with it is when I smoke wings. When I smoke wings I have to load it 3 times to get the job done, but then I smoke a ton of wings if we’re going to eat wings. I upgraded to an AmeriQue earlier this year and have not regretted it. I have used the AmeriQue almost every weekend for the last 4 months. The temp probe, timed cooking, and the auto kick down to the holding temp are fantastic features. However, I have not fully weaned myself from my Smokette. I have thought of selling the Smokette, but I can’t bring myself to stop using it yet. I keep telling the wife I need it incase we have the need to cook for a larger group. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
i talked with the great folks at cookshack today and now i am going to have to find a way to convice my wife that the AmerQue is the way to go, not sure that will work however. these all seem like great smokers, i can not believe how hooked i am on smoking! Smiler

tell her the AmQ will make a great 2nd oven for those large family gatherings or parties for many uses and does not necessarily have to include smoke; with the hold function also make a nice warming/holding oven.
well, i used my cheap smoker today with the rusted closed firebox vent, the grease caught fire, and the grease pan fell off the rack to the bottom of the smoker! however, since i saved $1500 on our deck addition by building it myself and shopping around the wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new smoker. Smiler now to see if i can bellyup to the amerQue bar! just need to come up with a few more3 bucks!
Alright, I too had the same delima. I wanted a CookShack smoker, was up in the air between the AmeriQue and the SM025. I perswaded my wife into getting me the AmeriQue with the promise of smoked food once a week! Well I got the AmeriQue, I could probably have done simular stuff with the SM025 and a probe from a local hardware store.

There are so many options with the AmeriQue, I use it with the heat shield to smoke cheese, which I do all the time. I put meat in with the probe and when I return home from work its reached its internal temperature and its kept warm waiting for my return.
quote:
i talked with the great folks at cookshack today and now i am going to have to find a way to convice my wife that the AmerQue is the way to go, not sure that will work however. these all seem like great smokers, i can not believe how hooked i am on smoking! Smiler
Upgraded from the old Sears smoker, rusted out. My wife researched smokers and on my birthday, to my surprise, there was an Amerique in the garage. I knew nothing about them and if I had, the thought of the $$$ would have stopped me. After the first set of ribs and brisket, The family and I are hooked! This thing makes me look good! This weekend its salami, braunschweiger and turkey. I'm having so much fun. What a wonderful wife! Get the AMERIQUE, its worth the features.
prime rib? yummmm! well, i did the deed yesterday and ordered the amerique and cover (cover bo'd later this mo or next) from karen at cookshack. what the heck, price was not that much different than charcoal store and i got sick of having to leave a message at the charcoal store. fortunately i am off on a vacation now and when i get back the amerique will be waiting for me! just in time for a jack and jill barbecue party.
quote:
prime rib? yummmm!

We have a Prime Rib sub-forum on the main page and a PR 101.

Do a Pork Butt in it first to season, then go to Sam's buy a Full Rib Eye (bone in if you can find it). cut in in half, and we'll help you smoke it.

It really isn't that hard, but you want to get to know you're smoker first and do a couple of other things first, but we can help there too.

Congrats and welcome to the group.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.