Skip to main content

Hello everybody-

This is my first of many future posts and I'm excited to begin what I have no doubt will be my newest addiction, er, hobby.
I know that there have been a few posts discussing the differences between models, and I have in fact read many. This will be my first smoker, and I'm on the fence between these two models. What I understand is that these two units are similar in all respects aside for their dimensions, and that the 045 has three racks as opposed to two on the 025. Is that correct?

If so, it seems that my decision should ultimately be based on the quantity of meat I want to be able to smoke per "batch." I am assuming that a 14"x18" shelf will fit two full slabs of baby backs. Is that a correct assumption? If so, the 025 would allow me to smoke a maximum of 4 slabs at a time which I'm guessing is food for about 6-8 adults (depending on appetite, etc.). Is my math close? My one concern is that in the Smokin Okie's "101" posts he mentioned that he avoids using the bottom rack if possible since it's closer to the heating element and cooks hotter. I'm just wondering how many of you follow this advice and in fact find that what is prepared on the lower rack cooks "inferior" to that smoked on the upper rack(s) (drier, over-smoked compared to that on the upper rack, etc.). If so, and since I don't know any better, I can't help but wonder why the dimensions of the entire unit aren't a bit higher in order to raise the lower rack farther away from the heating element.

Finally, I'm just wondering about smoking different meats together. In my initial searches I saw a few posts about smoking meat and poultry together, but I didn't come across posts about smoking ribs and brisket, or ribs and pork butts (for example). Is this something that is done, or is it something that is avoided if possible? Again referring to Smokin Okie's "101's" I saw that ribs and brisket were both smoked at 225, so it seems that they could be done together. Obviously meats that cook/smoke at different temps would prevent them from being done together. But are there factors other than temp at play when it comes to these decisions? This is a main factor for my decision making between the 025 and 045 also. In other words, I'm thinking that when I'm entertaining a larger group it would be great to be able to do several slabs of ribs (on two racks) and a few pork butts on the third rack and to therefore offer more variety to my guests. But if mixing meats in a single run is a no-no then perhaps this shouldn't play into my thinking.

Really appreciate any advice and guidance here. I'm already sure many of you will tell me to go with the bigger unit since it's always nice to have the extra space and I'll regret not doing so down the line Smiler.

Happy Memorial Day everybody, and God bless our troops and vets!
David
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mixing meats is fine. Most will smoke between 235-250* except for chicken ((275-300* if skin is important to you). I fit 3 slabs of baby backs on each of the 2 Elite racks. The 045 will, therefore, do 9 slabs vs 6 (that'd be 50% more). The 045 handles 35 lbs vs 25 lbs for the 025 (these #s are conservative).

Bottom shelf doesn't make a lot of difference from the top. You could always rotate them halfway through the smoke if you think the bottom cooks more intensely. I personally have never rotated, and I'm getting some pretty good Q out of mine.

My only regret is not having more capacity, especially for ribs.
In the past, I've just not liked using a rib rack. With the ribs in the veritcal position, cooking became uneven with the lower side of the racks of ribs always cooking better than the upper portion. Of course, one could always flip the ribs, but I didn't want to deal with it. Remember, when I used the racks, I was cooking on a grill.

The racks might make more sense in the smoker. Lower temps, a more even temperature environment. I like the thought of doing 6 racks of ribs and 2 pork butts. Actually could do 9 or maybe 10 racks of ribs using the rib rack and 3 slabs on the bottom shelf. Going to have that rib party afterall.
Thanks for the great replies everybody. These are all helpful. I think what I really needed is for it to be reinforced that I will regret it if I end up not having the extra space.

As for the rib rack, I saw it on the accessory link on CS's website but can't envision how it is used. Does anybody happen to have a pic of a rib rack in action? Has anybody had performance issues with the rib rack when used in the smoker?

Thanks again.
David
Thanks much Andy.That link completely cleared things up for me. I'm getting a better idea of space and capacity.

Seems like in the 025 you could easily smoke 7 slabs on one rack, and a few pork butts on the other. And I assume that'd be food for easily around 12 people. It's making me wonder if I'd really need the extra space ..... and yes, this is the time for more people to chime back in and convince me that in a year I'll be kicking myself in the ass if I don't get the 045 from the get go.

Again, thanks a ton for the help.
That HDTV analogy just sold me 100% on the 045. I actually bought my first (and only) HDTV five years ago- a 50" Pioneer. At the time I was so close to spending half on a "lesser" product and I very often think about how much I would have regretted it.

And the boob job comment... Good stuff!

Thanks so much guys.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.