Skip to main content

New to me but older SM150 in very good shape. This box has worked as advertised for a few smokes now and I have been doing dinners for our VFW on the weekends. We've built up a pretty decent dinner business but I'm still scared of this SM150. Reason is I'm old and a stick burning guy and when I've followed instructions on how to use this machine I don't like the result. First time meat was dry (to me) on the surface. First ribs I did just seemed tough. So, I (as a test) pulled some ribs at 2:45 or 3 hours and foiled the usual way adding parkay honey etc and gave 'em a hour and a half ride that way. They came out great and tender. We have a great grill top so I glazed them on the grill for about a minute a side and sent them out. The customers loved them. Right now I'm only doing ribs every other week and we sell out in about an hour and a half (I get 28 racks of 4.9 down and trim to St Louis cut) I cook the tips along with the ribs and nobody knew what they were but the first week those who were late and miss the ribs opted for the tips and now many will order the tips over the ribs.

This week I had about 80# of ribs and tips in the box and temp set at 230. I would never get over 195. I knew something was amok but just could never figure it out. I finally opened the door at 3 hours and the center meat temps were around 155 so I pulled them, foiled them and finished them off in the oven and on the grill. That saved the service.

Heretofore I've done all our Butts, Briskets and ribs on either my offset or a multifuel box I built and have a good reputation with our members for good que. I bought this SM 150 because it came highly recommended and frankly, I'm older now and the idea of baby sitting a fire for 12 hours while drinking beer is not that appealing any more. I like the idea of only using 4oz chunks rather than a pile of wood. But I'm just scared of this thing.

I did 10 butts about a month ago and decided I would just let it do its thing. I must admit they came out just fine. I just don't have enough experience with this box to trust ribs and with the cost of briskets I won't touch it.

I thought one of the elements had failed the other day but noticed that where I placed one of the rib racks had the ribs up on the temp probe. So after cleaning the box I ran a cycle empty the next day and the machine worked perfectly. 1 chunk of wood, empty box 230, 2 hours hold at 140. Flawless. I have a new element and was going to install it but wanted to test first. Now I'm just looking for any others operating the 150 or even the 260's are the same.

I guess my fear all began when I first got the machine I followed instructions and smoked a couple of racks of ribs at 225 for 4 hours. The result was less than desirable. I used the same rub and prep as always but they were tough (IMO)
My rub is fairly low salt and low sugar and performs well on everything I ever put it in, gas, wood, pellet so I don't think that's an issue.

Sorry to go on and on but I guess the questions I have are. .... Why would I get only up to 195 on a smoke then the next day empty it works normal. Could the temp probe sticking into the rib rack be the answer? I had two chunks of wood in the box and I did notice that after all that time one was complete ash and the other was almost intact as a piece of charcoal. Next day empty everything was reduced to ash in two hours.

I always finish off my ribs by foiling with honey butter and brown sugar and follow that up with a naked ride for 20-30 min to seal the deal or 2 min on the grill. I don't see how I can possibly get the result I want any other way. Do all you guys do the entire cook in the SM150?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also own a used SM150 and love it. Mine had a lot of miles on it and I gave it a decent cleaning. I used to own a used SM008 and I had irregular results sort of like what you describe. I called Cookshack and got a new power cord, new vent nozzle and some stainless steel shelves. That made all the difference, I can't say it was the old brittle power cord or that the old vent was the culprit (it was really bunged up) but after that I got consistent and good results. It prompted me to look around and that's when I found my SM150. AFTER a decent cleaning and some new shelves it's the bomb. Haven't had to replace the vent nozzle yet but for the small money spent it would be a good thing to do. I have read repeatedly to not put food near that temp sensor/probe. If I do put anything on that shelf it's in the front section way away from the probe.

So worst case, maybe buy a new vent nozzle, a probe and put that new element you have in. Make doggone sure your drain hole is always free, lining the bottom of the smoker with fresh foil ever time is easy as pie. Your running the smoker empty for a bit is pretty smart. I home roast my own coffees with a fancy thing called a Behmor 1600, and they suggest a cleaning cycle every 5 roasts - that means running it like I'md doing 1/2 pound of beans but empty, it burns off all the oils that accumulate on the basket and heat lamps - it really improves the consistency of my roasted beans.

Give Cookshack a call, they are really a great and very helpful bunch. You got yourself a heck of a unit and in no time you'll have your questions answered and your problems solved.
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
You say the ribs came out tough. How are you checking if the ribs are done? Just by time? Temp? Probing for tender? 225 for 4 hours for St. Louis spares sounds like they were under done. I cook my spares at 275 for 4-4 1/2 hours until they probe tender.

That was the first ribs I did. I just went by the previous owners recommendations and the manual. 4hrs .. 225. I thought they were dry and too much bite. I know I put too much wood in the first time for only two racks. Remember, I don't know the machine at all so opening the door constantly checking only messes with getting back up to temp. I guess it will just take some time and meat to learn the nuances. I'm just looking to save my time and wood. I'm not dissing the machine as I've figured out the butts and sure I will figure out the ribs but I seem to be missing something I guess. Are you cooking those spares in a 150? If so I may try 275?
quote:
Originally posted by BigMikeinNJ:
I also own a used SM150 and love it. Haven't had to replace the vent nozzle yet but for the small money spent it would be a good thing to do. I have read repeatedly to not put food near that temp sensor/probe. If I do put anything on that shelf it's in the front section way away from the probe.

So worst case, maybe buy a new vent nozzle, a probe and put that new element you have in. Make doggone sure your drain hole is always free, lining the bottom of the smoker with fresh foil ever time is easy as pie.
] You got yourself a heck of a unit and in no time you'll have your questions answered and your problems solved.

Thanks for the suggestions. The vent is clear and I clean it every cook so don't think that has any effect. Yes I foil the bottom and make sure to punch the hole out. The PO has replaced the power cord and it looks okay. I just have a feeling the meat next to the temp probe produced the cold reading. Like I said the next day it worked fine.

Do you run your ribs 225 for 4 hours before checking them? And if so what condition are the ribs at that point. Do they have the proper "bend" and pull back?
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
You say the ribs came out tough. How are you checking if the ribs are done? Just by time? Temp? Probing for tender? 225 for 4 hours for St. Louis spares sounds like they were under done. I cook my spares at 275 for 4-4 1/2 hours until they probe tender.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. Your ribs were undercooked. 4 hrs at 225* is just not long enough. My loin backs take over 4 hrs at 235*

My suggestion is toss the owner's manual and follow recommendations on this site...particularly the 101's (ie ribs 101) written by the master...Smokin.

At 250*, start checking your spares at 4.5 hrs with the toothpick test (when ready the toothpick will slide through the thickest meat like going through butter). If still some resistance, check again in 25-30 minutes.

Read stuff on this site. You'll be ecstatic with your results. My ribs are the best I've ever had...bar none with all credit going to Cookeshack, Smokin and the folks that contribute on this site.
Last edited by pags
I run my baby backs at 225 for 4 1/2 hours or until they are done (they're done when they're done). Start meat side down for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, flip so meat side is up. Close the smoker back up and leave it alone. At 4 hours I check with toothpick, sauce both sides and close up the smoker. Let it go until they fall apart. Always get good results. Love my SM!50.
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder747:

Do they have the proper "bend" and pull back?

For me that's just not a reliable method to determine doneness. Pullback is a sign the meat is giving up it's moisture and shrinking and that's VERY much dependent on the type of cooker. As the 150 is a moist cooker, you won't get as much pullback.

I don't like the bend test as that's usually going to give you some crack in the middle of the rack.

I've use the toothpick test for years and taught that to the guys in the restaurant. Learn it and it'll help you're ribs be perfect.
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
I run my baby backs at 225 for 4 1/2 hours or until they are done (they're done when they're done). Start meat side down for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, flip so meat side is up. Close the smoker back up and leave it alone. At 4 hours I check with toothpick, sauce both sides and close up the smoker. Let it go until they fall apart. Always get good results. Love my SM!50.

I'm cooking 20 or so racks in the rib racks. Not enough room to lay meat side down.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:

As the 150 is a moist cooker, you won't get as much pullback.

I don't like the bend test as that's usually going to give you some crack in the middle of the rack.

I've use the toothpick test for years and taught that to the guys in the restaurant. Learn it and it'll help you're ribs be perfect.

From your experience would you say that the load has much effect on time in the SM150? Reason I ask is I'll try anything with a couple racks but just scared to commit 20 racks to a test. I know to use less wood to keep out bitterness. but will the cook time be about the same regardless of the load? I really like the machine and can benefit greatly once I have a "system" in order to control the work flow in the dinner service. Also, 225 or 250 for best end product.
"This week I had about 80# of ribs and tips in the box and temp set at 230. I would never get over 195. I knew something was amok but just could never figure it out. I finally opened the door at 3 hours and the center meat temps were around 155 so I pulled them, foiled them and finished them off in the oven and on the grill. That saved the service."

Well 20 racks sounds like too much of a load. There is a thing at the bottom of the page you could click on called: Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center. You can locate your smoker's specs here

http://www.cookshack.com/store...rtSmoker-Model-SM160

It states the SM160 (your unit but all stainless outside) can handle 50 lbs of ribs. 20 racks sounds more like 60 pounds or close to it. Lower the load to say 12 racks and you'll get a better cook. I've tried maxing out my SM008 when I had it and learned you gotta respect the load quoted in those specs. Check it out for yourself. If you need to do 20 racks at a time sounds like you need a bigger machine.
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
quote:
Are you cooking those spares in a 150? If so I may try 275?

Used to use an SM020, smaller electric, 750W element vs your 1500W heating element. I now cook on an FEC100.

quote:
Well 20 racks sounds like too much of a load.

It states the SM160 (your unit but all stainless outside) can handle 50 lbs of ribs. 20 racks sounds more like 60 pounds or close to it.

I think the specs are for how much you can fit on the included shelves. Rib racks should give you more capacity. That being said, on my old SM020, I loaded it once with 7 racks of ribs, two tri-tips and a pan of beans. Set it for 275 and after 2 hours it only got up to 187. Had to finish the ribs in the oven to get them done in time.

quote:
From your experience would you say that the load has much effect on time in the SM150?

As long as you get it up to temp, I've found no difference in cook time between a loaded smoker or a smoker with one slab in it.

Try a smaller load and see what happens.
I think you've gotten great advice from far more experienced people than I.
Yet the best bit of advice I can give you is to call Cookshack, they are the doggone nicest folks and it doesn't matter to them that you bought the unit used, they're really great giving advice on all aspects of each device. Do it, they'll blow you away with kindness and assistance. Really good people.
Big Mike and Andy,

I looked back over receipts to be sure..... I have 3 rib racks which hold 8 sets of ribs each for a total capacity of 24 racks. Ribs I'm using when trimmed to St Louis cut are about 3# each. I had two racks loaded with ribs and two flat racks with tips only. The total was just at 75#. Let's forget the tips for a second. If I had all three racks loaded with 24 X 3# more or less that's still around 75#'s of meat.

I just don't think the stated capacity of 50# of ribs is based on spares but rather 24 BB's which weigh less. After all the mass of pork butts is greater than spares and they say you can load up to 120#'s. So far I've only done about 6 butts at a time and the smoker does a great job there.

My problem is one of inexperience with this method of smoking and I'm determined to figure it out. I'll continue to draw from those with experience with this cooker and want to thank all of you in advance.

I'm not a cook by trade but have always had a passion for producing good quality meals at a reasonable price. Since retiring, I've been doing a once a week meal at my VFW after rebuilding our kitchen. It's my way of giving back to my brothers in arms. I have no designs of being in the "restaurant business" yet I have to run our kitchen as well if not better than most establishments. I want to give our members something they can get nowhere else. So far, so good. We've been very successful with our fish Friday's and the pulled pork but I can see our "Rib Night" becoming the most popular thing by far if I don't screw it up. LOL That's why the events of last week has me concerned.

I think tomorrow I will test two racks and do as Russ suggests for timing and testing with the toothpick. I'll report back with the results.
If you think there might be something wrong with the smoker or have a technical question, by all means give Cookshack a call. Very friendly bunch of folks, I called once with a problem with my used FEC. Talked with Bill for probably 20 minutes. Got great info, understood the problem and he wasn't at all in a hurry.

Let us know how things go with the test, we're a friendly bunch here. I'd definitely go hotter than 225 on spares though. I've got my loinbacks down, but still haven't perfected my spares yet, but getting there.
I've asked a CS expert, maybe he'll drop in, since I haven't had a 150/160 in about 10 years.

My calculations tell me if there are 5 racks, 3 racks of ribs on each one that's 15 racks. If the racks weigh 3.3 lbs each that's 50 lbs.

I'm sure the capacity is without the rib racks which increase capacity.

As for the temp, if you fully load it with butts, briskets or ribs you're creating a lot of thermal mass and that WILL extent the cook time just based on the amount of meat.

You said old CS. Do you know how old? If you're putting in a large load and it never gets to temp then the elements might be old and just not up getting the temp up quick enough.

Give Bill or Tony at CS and tell them. They are THE guys to talk to and they'll help you out a lot.

Hopefully my CS expert will stop by Wink
Rib capacity can be a difficult one to put your finger on as there are so many different ribs. You can get 15 slabs of baby backs or St. Louis style in a 160 without rib racks. With rib racks you can get 21 slabs in a 160. If you use full slab ribs you loose a bit of space, can only get in 10 slabs without rib racks and get about 15 slabs in with the rib racks. Hope that helps…
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
could your meat be touching the temp probe. Just a thought

That's exactly what I believe happened. One rack (I was using the rib racks, ribs on their side) was right into the temp probe. There's no way the probe was getting free air temp as I believe it was touching a slab of ribs. That begs the question; does the probe only send signal to current temp inside the box or is it wired to the thermostat? I'm thinking there must be a thermostat to control on/off of the heating element but where does it get its signal?

I'm almost certain there was a rack of ribs resting against the probe. When the temp failed to get above 180/190 (had 235 set) I re-positioned that rack and it went up to 200) Next day I cleaned the probe well and all worked normally.

I will call cookshack if I can remember to do so been meaning to do that for days now but get busy with other stuff and think about it too late to call. Did I mention getting old leads to CRS.

Russ, I believe the date on the machine is 2005 so it's about 10 years old and in really good shape. It does not appear to have seen heavy use as in a restaurant the previous owner just did a roadside grab joint deal a couple days a week.

Another thing is .... I don't recall seeing the door closed light on when the problem occurred. I've not had any problem with that ever.

Stuart, my rib racks have 8 slots each and three racks allow 24 slabs. I can get 10 St Louis cut spares in the flat racks and about 15 BB. What I did last week was load two rib racks with 16 slabs and that left me room for two flats loaded with the tips. (people are beginning to like the tips)

Thanks, you guys are building my confidence with this little box.
That's great news, yeah I've let food get too close to the probe a few times it really jacked my cook up until I spotted it.

These babies are foolproof and built to last a long time. Being your used one was in such good condition you got yourself a real deal !!

Me doing an outdoor smoke, had the beach umbrella open covering the smoker. Had to shovel and salt the deck and then sweep it dry but ran a carnitas style pork butt overnight, came out lovely.

Smoked a couple slabs of spares and some tips this morning. From start to 230 degrees took about 2 hours. Once it reach that point it maintained temp. 3 hours into the cook I checked and both slabs looked and felt good. As a test I foiled one rack and the tips with the "stuff" I add and just a sauce on the other rack then locked everything down to finish. At 4.5 hours they were probe soft and I gave several "tasters" one of each style. First was the un-foiled .... they liked them very much. Then the foiled ..... They all agreed they like them better. Those foiled were IMO too fall off the bone tender but it is what it is.

Should it take the SM150 two hours to come up to temp? I'd appreciate any of you that have the 150 to comment. I only had the equivalent of about 3 racks in the smoker. I can see where if I was loaded up it could take up to three hours to get to 230 based on what I saw today. Maybe I need to put the new element in I don't know.
Hey Joe, thanks for the warning. That guy is always coming over, especially when I'm cooking. Thank God he does too, he blows my driveways and a space in the yard for the chickens to free range, he does our yard (he's mr. everything home tools) and basically saves our butt. When Hurricane Sandy hit us he ran a 150 extension cord from his generator over so we could power our little Amish Heat Surge heater to stay semi thawed. God Bless Frank !!
Hey Sidewinder,

Maybe I need a 2nd cup of coffee, but in your most recent description I can't tell are you putting your product in first and then firing up the smoker, or are you starting it empty and waiting until it comes up to temp ?? I always load mine up cold, close the door and leave it alone !! IN about 15 minutes I got a steady stream of smoke coming out, at 2 - 2.5 hours I flip it over meat side up and let it cook another hour, then baste with my sauce and let her go. About 15 minutes before I pull them I rebaste the tops with sauce. Never had a problem.

Didn't you say you have a spare heating element. If you do I'd swap it out... There's videos on YouTube on how to do it. Here's a video Cookshack posted on YouTube on how to change out an element in the SM260, it'll give you a guide on what to do with yours. Here you go, a Cookshack video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSYWzAC0iQ
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
well, I put the new element in and happy to report that it was smoking in less than 20 minutes reached target temp in a reasonable time (about 45-50 minutes).

Threw half of a pork loin (about 4#) in cold with temp set at 250 and it was a done deal in about 2.5 hours. I have much confidence that it will now take a full load without problems. Loin cooked perfectly and I cut a couple slices into strips and passed them around the bar. Now everybody wants to know when we will have pork loin lol.

I did notice something when I had the back opened. wire #6 (which I believe is the door switch wire or at least one of them) is disconnected and swinging freely. I noticed the door closed light stays lit at all times so I just assume that someone modded it to bypass the door switch.
Ya know, I saw that the other day after watching the other link you posted and thought about trying it. We are doing a rib-eye with baked potato for the Superbowl so I will be testing several versions between now and then. Not sure how much smoke flavor you can impart on the russet but curious. Thanks for the suggestion.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.